Having just established his own law firm, John has to pinch pennies for a few years.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How common is the idiom 'pinch pennies'? Are these examples I've written okay?

1. Having just established his own law firm, John has to pinch pennies for a few years until his firm begins to generate profits.
2. You should learn from your cousin. She has been able to save money for a down payment on a house by pinching pennies. For example, she never eats out.
3. He's not the type of person who would take risks and make huge investments. He has been pinching pennies all his life and now he can finally buy his own store in downtown.
4. Her grandfather had a reputation for being a penny-pincher. She too is very careful with money.
5. Pinching pennies is par for the course in her family. Even though they are rich, they diligently save every penny.
6. I can never understand why Jack is such a successful contractor. He always pinches pennies in every project and some even say he cuts corners.
7. He had been pinching pennies for several years, but one day he impulsively blew all of his savings on a Ferrari.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They all look OK to me.

As for #6, I would say it means he keeps expenses down. As for "cutting corners" it means he saves money but does so in an unethical way.

I would delete "in" before "downtown".

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is it common in British English as well?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, we don't say "pinch pennies". We say "penny-pinch" (as a verb).

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In BrE, we don't say "pinch pennies". We say "penny-pinch" (as a verb).
Are these okay?

1. Having just established his own law firm, John has to penny-pinch for a few years until his firm begins to generate profits.
2. You should learn from your cousin. She has been able to save money for a down payment on a house by penny-pinching. For example, she never eats out.
3. He's not the type of person who would take risks and make huge investments. He has been penny-pinching all his life and now he can finally buy his own store in downtown.
4. Her grandfather had a reputation for being a penny-pincher. She too is very careful with money.
5. Penny-pinching is par for the course in her family. Even though they are rich, they diligently save every penny.
6. I can never understand why Jack is such a successful contractor. He always penny-pinches in every project and in some situations he cuts corners.
7. He had been penny-pinching for several years, but one day he impulsively blew all of his savings on a Ferrari.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't get #6. Keeping expenses low is a good thing.

**on every project

*Synonyms*

penny pincher
cheapskate
tightwad

Last edited:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What about the other examples? Are they okay in British English?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does this definition match how I intend to use it?

: to give out money to in a niggardly manner

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "stingy" would be better except it doesn't quite match. That usage is British English anyhow.