Poland
Current Location
Spain
I'm not sure which of the following is correct:

1. in October of last year
2. in the October of last year

Any suggestions? :-?

#1. We don't use "the" with months.

That's what I thought, but when I googled it, some examples of the use of "the" in this context have added to my confusion:

My Chemical Romance to kick start the Shockwave NME Awards | Big Ticket Shop Blog "The band had last performed in London at the Wembley stadium the October of last year"

Japan Economy, on the Road of Recovery | TopNews New Zealand "...said that the financial position of the banks had lowered for the first time since the October of last year"

BBC News - Harsh winters threaten barn owls "In the December of last year 104 ringed barn owls were found dead"

News Information : Impact Trade Union "Since the Public Service Agreement was ratified in the June of last year, many changes to the way in which the public services are delivered have been implemented"

REFILE-UPDATE 2-Sinopec to resume diesel exports after brief halt | Reuters "China exported 235,000 tonnes in November, 172,000 tonnes in December, and 292,000 tonnes in the February of last year"

:shock:

They all read funny to me. Maybe it's a difference between American and British use. The entire phrase seems strange. "In the June of last year" vs "Last June" or "in June last year."

People who need to increase the word-count for an article or essay often insert superfluous padding like this.

'I met her in June, 2000' can become 'I met her in the month of June in the year 2000'.

Rover

That's what I thought, but when I googled it, some examples of the use of "the" in this context have added to my confusion:
You can find examples of all sorts of odd language on google. That does not mean that they are generally accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back