Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

I'm living in St.Petersburg (Russia) where there is one of the biggest collections of paintings in the world. Not all canvases are on display. Some are kept in special premises and they sometimes replace those paintings that are permanently on display. I'd like to know what do you call these premises where some paintings are located when they aren't on displa. Please choose the words that you like and if you dislike the word, please explain if it's wrong or just the matter of a persoanl preference:

storage
depository
depot
repository
storehouse

Thanks

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please help me with my question

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Storage is the term I have heard used in the UK- you hear about things the British Museum keeps in storage or refer to the place as the British Museum storage.

Pleased be patient- people will answer questions, but the forum is very active and you may have to wait a bit.

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
They are in storage in a repository or storehouse.
Depot and depository are not really places of storage.

not teacjer

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
They are in storage in a repository or storehouse.
Depot and depository are not really places of storage.

not teacjer

Thanks for your help. I agree with you about "repository". As regards "storehouse" I've got a question. Is it really a house or it can also be the name of a room where paintings are stored? In other words is "storehouse" really a house?

Look at what I've found about "depository": A depository is a place where objects can be stored safely (Collins Cobuild dictionary). A depot is a place where large amounts of raw materials, equipment, arms, or other supplies are kept until they are needed. (Collins Cobuild dictionary)

How would you comment on that?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your help. I agree with you about "repository". As regards "storehouse" I've got a question. Is it really a house or it can also be the name of a room where paintings are stored? In other words is "storehouse" really a house?

Look at what I've found about "depository": A depository is a place where objects can be stored safely (Collins Cobuild dictionary). A depot is a place where large amounts of raw materials, equipment, arms, or other supplies are kept until they are needed. (Collins Cobuild dictionary)

How would you comment on that?

I would say that a storehouse would be a separate building, not necessarily a house, but certainly a building in its own right.

A storeroom is a room within a building where items are kept.

A depot is usually much larger and can be used for storing things while they wait to be loaded onto a vehicle and transported somewhere else. In the UK, it's also where buses/coaches go at the end of their journey, perhaps to be cleaned and then sent out on a new journey. For example: "The bus is on its way to the depot so it isn't picking up passengers."

The most famous example of a "depository" is the Dallas Book Depository, from where (allegedly) Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
A depot is usually much larger and can be used for storing things while they wait to be loaded onto a vehicle and transported somewhere else.

I first learnt the word depot watching a BBC series titled Blizzard: Race To The Pole, which reconstructed Scott's and Amundsen's 1911 race to the Pole. I absolutely loved it, and I would recommend it to anyone who might be interested in the topic.

Here's the word in the context of the race (BBC History - The Race to the South Pole):

-Early in the year, prior to setting off on the journey to the Pole, teams laid food and equipment depots on the route.

-Like the British, Amundsen and his men spent the first months of the expedition making extensive preparations and laying supply depots southwards.

-A swirling blizzard confined them to their sleeping bags, while One Ton depot lay only 11 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.