Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Suppose that a page is dedicated to listing the statistics of various players, which of the following titles would be more appropriate, "Player Statistic List" or "Player Statistics List"? Note that this is merely an example to keep things simple, and that opting for something else, such as "List of Player Statistics," is not an option. I basically want to know whether the middle term must be treated as singular under such circumstances.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Suppose that a page is dedicated to listing the statistics of various players, which of the following titles would be more appropriate, "Player Statistic List" or "Player Statistics List"? Note that this is merely an example to keep things simple, and that opting for something else, such as "List of Player Statistics," is not an option. I basically want to know whether the middle term must be treated as singular under such circumstances.
Try, "List of player statistics".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Why do you need the word "list" at all? If the page was titled "Player Statistics" and was followed by a list, then it would be clear that it was a list. In fact, if it was simply called "Player Statistics", it wouldn't matter what format the rest of the information was in, as long as it gave me information about player statistics.

However, if you're adamant that it must be one of the two options you gave, then "Player Statistics List" would be my choice.

Novalia

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Try, "List of player statistics".

fivejedjon likes this.
Why do you need the word "list" at all? If the page was titled "Player Statistics" and was followed by a list, then it would be clear that it was a list. In fact, if it was simply called "Player Statistics", it wouldn't matter what format the rest of the information was in, as long as it gave me information about player statistics.
Note to myself: make heavy use of boldface in the future to help people with reading comprehension issues...

However, if you're adamant that it must be one of the two options you gave, then "Player Statistics List" would be my choice.
Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Note to myself: make heavy use of boldface in the future to help people with reading comprehension issues.
I am going to pretend that my liking was ironic.:cool:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"List of Player Statistics," is not an option. Why?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"List of Player Statistics," is not an option. Why?
Because she said, "... this is merely an example to keep things simple".
By suggesting "List of Player Statistics", your answer gives no indication about whether the singular or plural is necessary in "Player Statistic List". She actually has no practical need for the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.