Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

What is the meaning of this highlighted part:

[When I was five, I was playing outside. Neighbor's father had a heart attack, right in front of me. I remember the sound when his head hit pavement. I can still see his mail blowing into the street.]

Can we just guess that he was a postman? or "mail" here means what?

Thanks a lot.

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Not a teacher

He had the heart attack when collecting his mail from the box.

M.

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
P.S.

If he was a postman it'd say: "the mail" not: "his mail"

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'When I was five, I was playing outside. A neighbor's father had a heart attack, right in front of me. I remember the sound when his head hit the pavement. I can still see his mail blowing into the street.'
Use inverted commas instead of brackets.

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher

He had the heart attack when collecting his mail from the box.

M.

:up: There's a cultural problem here. It wouldn't be true to say 'In the USA, everyone has a box for mail on top of a short pole by their front gate, while in the UK everyone has a letter-box (in effect, a slit in the outside of the door connecting to a box or a cage, or nothing on the inside'. There are many many counter-examples on both sides of the pond.

But I think it'd be safe to say that free-standing boxes in the street are a lot more common in America than in the UK, and that when someone reads

'When I was five, I was playing outside. Neighbor's father had a heart attack, right in front of me. I remember the sound when his head hit pavement. I can still see his mail blowing into the street.'​

it makes more immediate sense to someone who is more accustomed to seeing free-standing mail-boxes.

On the other hand, the man could have had the heart-attack in the vestibule of an apartment block, and the kid playing in the street wouldn't have seen a thing. ;-)

b

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
On the other hand, the man could have had the heart-attack in the vestibule of an apartment block, and the kid playing in the street wouldn't have seen a thing. ;-)

b

Absolutely, BobK. People should choose well where to have their heart-attacks, so as not to traumatize children.

No offence meant, I just simply couldn't resist it.:-D

M.

Status
Not open for further replies.