Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"When the solution to a given problem doesn't lay right before our eyes, it is very easy to assume that no solution exists."

The above sentence is from Freakonomics, a New York Times bestseller. The book is very well written, so I'm going to assume "lay" is correct. But why? I would've written "lie."

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's incorrect, but many people make that mistake.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not. Lie and lay are probably the most mis-used words by native speakers. (If we used affect and effect more often, it could be those as well, since most people mix those up too.)

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Yes, but we're talking about a book that was written by two authors, one of whom is an editor at The New York Times, and proofread by at least one more person. You wouldn't expect such a mistake.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And yes, it happens.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, but we're talking about a book that was written by two authors, one of whom is an editor at The New York Times, and proofread by at least one more person. You wouldn't expect such a mistake.
As Barb said: yes, it happens.

If I had a penny for ever misuse I had read or heard of lay/laid by people one would expect to know better, I could affort to eat out more often.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
As Barb said: yes, it happens.

If I had a penny for ever misuse I had read or heard of lay/laid by people one would expect to know better, I could affort to eat out more often.

:-D *hides*

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He'd need a fort to keep all that money safe.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"When the solution to a given problem doesn't lay right before our eyes, it is very easy to assume that no solution exists."

The above sentence is from Freakonomics, a New York Times bestseller. The book is very well written, so I'm going to assume "lay" is correct. But why? I would've written "lie."
I haven't read the book, but jugding from the title, I can't rule out the possibility that the problem they are talking about is a want of eggs.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I haven't read the book, but jugding from the title,
Having just written of being able to affort something, it is comforting for me to see that I am not the only typo-victim this evening.;-)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Having just written of being able to affort something, it is comforting for me to see that I am not the only typo-victim this evening.;-)
I could read my poast a milion times and not notice it. It looked just fine to me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I could read my poast a milion times and not notice it. It looked just fine to me.
That's life. I can't poast about my success in this field, either. :-D

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
I haven't read the book, but jugding from the title, I can't rule out the possibility that the problem they are talking about is a want of eggs.

It's like Christmas only better. I had such a good laugh, thanks! :up:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All pots and kettles, gather here! :) We're painting each other black! Because my post was supposed to be "And yet, it happens!"

suman1779

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Nepal
Current Location
Nepal
In my view it happens.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Here's what Garner has to say on "lay" and "lie":

"To use "lay" without a direct object, in the sense of "lie," is nonstandard {I want to lay down} {he was laying in the sun}. But this error is very common in speech -- from the illiterate to the highly educated. In fact, some commentators believe that people make this mistake more often than anyother in the English language. Others claim that it's no longer a mistake -- or even that it never was. But make no mistake: using these verbs correctly is a mark of refinement."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's interesting, Allen.

Here's what Merriem-Webster has to say about it:

Usage Discussion of LAY

Lay has been used intransitively in the sense of “lie” since the 14th century. The practice was unremarked until around 1770; attempts to correct it have been a fixture of schoolbooks ever since. Generations of teachers and critics have succeeded in taming most literary and learned writing, but intransitive lay persists in familiar speech and is a bit more common in general prose than one might suspect. Much of the problem lies in the confusing similarity of the principal parts of the two words. Another influence may be a folk belief that lie is for people and lay is for things. Some commentators are ready to abandon the distinction, suggesting that lay is on the rise socially. But if it does rise to respectability, it is sure to do so slowly: many people have invested effort in learning to keep lie and lay distinct. Remember that even though many people do use lay for lie, others will judge you unfavorably if you do.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.