Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I have questions about Over+period. As far as I know, we use present perfect tense with over+period. But in these 2 examples, the correct answer is given with past simple tense. Can anyone pls explain it to me? Thanx

1- At the Brussels meeting over the last
weekend Madeleine Albright, The American
secretary of State, ____ her allies that
future NATO missions ____ them further a
field, but not all over the world.
A) assures / is taking
B) has assured / will have taken
C) assured / would take
D) had assured / took
E) was assuring / will take

2- Over the past two decades, the Corsicans
____ their idyllic island, which was wrested
by France from the Genoese in 1768, ____
into terrorism, corruption and economic
decline

A) have seen / sink
B) had seen / sank
C) saw / to sink
D) would have seen / had sunk
E) would see / had been sinkin

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In my long career in TEFL, I have met many speakers of Aymara from Andorra living in the Bahamas. You are the first I've encountered who hasn't known the correct answer to those questions

Think about them carefully, and you'll probably see what is going on.

jahildebrandt

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Consider the timeline of the events.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In my long career in TEFL, I have met many speakers of Aymara from Andorra living in the Bahamas. You are the first I've encountered who hasn't known the correct answer to those questions

:-D

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have questions about Over+period. As far as I know, we use present perfect tense with over+period. But in these 2 examples, the correct answer is given with past simple tense. Can anyone pls explain it to me? Thanx
But seriously, you don't have to use the present perfect tense with "over a certain time period"
Secondly, the correct answer for 2. can't be the simple past tense (C) because that would make the other answer "to sink" wrong.
C is OK for 1.
For 2, A is correct.

manikkedi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Dear Raymontt- Thanx for yur proper answer, this means a lot. I am from Turkey and we have exam classes. You know what they ask for- clues, tips, etc. It works for some time expressions like since and by the time. And as I told you, what is always said on our books is Over+period of time is used with present perfect. So when I saw 2 examples with past simple ı needed and explanation. Thank you so much for your time and considiration.

manikkedi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

And moderator, I was a bit rush while filling out the form. I will sort it out today for the publicity- everybody must be wondering my details, coz it is a big deal. I haven't harrased or insulted anybody, so I don't have to hide my identity. I am also an ESL teacher seeking for the truth like the other teachers. Thanx for the warm wellcome- it really works, very supportive.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am from Turkey
So why do you say that you come from Andorra and that you live in the Bahamas? Inventing false backgrounds does not encourage us to take your questions seriously.

manikkedi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
So why do you say that you come from Andorra and that you live in the Bahamas? Inventing false backgrounds does not encourage us to take your questions seriously.

As I stated, I was in a rush and I sorted it out a minute ago. You needn't have told me that way, it was harsh. That investigating and false identity thing is reasonable, but I wasn't trying to reach FBI database; I just asked for a reply for my question. Anyway, I found your attitude humiliating and it didn't feel very well.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
As I stated, I was in a rush and I sorted it out a minute ago. You needn't have told me that way, it was harsh. That investigating and false identity thing is reasonable, but I wasn't trying to reach FBI database; I just asked for a reply for my question. Anyway, I found your attitude humiliating and it didn't feel very well.
Mannikedi, I think we have a reasonable right to expect people to be honest with us about their identities, we are all volunteers, we do what we do in an honest desire to help people who want to improve their English. You say that you were in a rush, OK, but as a teacher, do you think it reasonable to approach something, which presumably was important for your knowledge of English, in such a manner?

manikkedi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Mannikedi, I think we have a reasonable right to expect people to be honest with us about their identities, we are all volunteers, we do what we do in an honest desire to help people who want to improve their English. You say that you were in a rush, OK, but as a teacher, do you think it reasonable to approach something, which presumably was important for your knowledge of English, in such a manner?

You are totally right but his approach and your laughing doen't help me when it comes to help or support or volunteering. He/she could have said totally the same thing but in a nice manner. I appreciate what you did and do as a volunteer, and I respect you. But it doesn't mean I need to be humiliated just because I have skipped the parts in the form. You are talking about approach,but I think you just judging the book by its cover. The way I asked the question was reasonable I think.Nobody deserves to be mocked for some standart questions in an application form.BTW I may not have cared about it so much as you can not still prove the truth of the information I have submitted.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
He/she could have said totally the same thing but in a nice manner.
He.

I am afraid that I feel no need to approach in a nice way anyone who says that they come from Turkey but, with the excuse of being 'in a rush', gives their personal details as Home Country: Andorra; Native Language: Aymara; Current Location: Bahamas.
BTW I may not have cared about it so much as you can not still prove the truth of the information I have submitted
manikeddi, in your own posts you have proved that you did not tell the truth. You have claimed to be both from Turkey and from Andorra. You have changed your native language from Aymara to Turkish, and you current location from the Bahama to Turkey.

if you genuinely wish to learn more about English, then you are welcome here. And, if that it your wish, then I suggest that we end this now. Any further serious questions from you will be answered seriously in new threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.