Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello everyone,

I was watching a film yeaterday and heard the expression "chisel-weasel" or something like that. Is it a synonym to "Damn" / "Oh boy"? Can it characterise a person who's a wriggler and a slyboots? Moreover, I've found a song called "Chisel me Weasel" on the Web. What can they mean by it? Thanks in advance!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know. But in the song (which I also don't know) 'me weasel' probably means 'my coat' (Rhyming slang: 'weasel and stoat').

(In the other case, I'd guess that 'weasel' was used in a derogatory way of an untrustworthy or shifty person - I suspect this is what you mean by 'a wriggler or a slyboots', but those are both new words to me.)

b

tyrp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
- 2 BobK

Thanks a lot! You must be right.

Thanks for commenting on the words I've used (wriggler and slyboots sounded a bit weird to my ear too, but I thought it was my lack of knowledge that was to blame:) ).

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I think I have met 'slyboots', but it's pretty archaic. (The pattern <adj>+<footwear> used to be more popular than it is today - and used chiefly when talking to babies ['clever-clogs', for example].)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.