Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello everyone,

I was watching a film yeaterday and heard the expression "chisel-weasel" or something like that. Is it a synonym to "Damn" / "Oh boy"? Can it characterise a person who's a wriggler and a slyboots? Moreover, I've found a song called "Chisel me Weasel" on the Web. What can they mean by it? Thanks in advance!

I don't know. But in the song (which I also don't know) 'me weasel' probably means 'my coat' (Rhyming slang: 'weasel and stoat').

(In the other case, I'd guess that 'weasel' was used in a derogatory way of an untrustworthy or shifty person - I suspect this is what you mean by 'a wriggler or a slyboots', but those are both new words to me.)

b

- 2 BobK

Thanks a lot! You must be right.

Thanks for commenting on the words I've used (wriggler and slyboots sounded a bit weird to my ear too, but I thought it was my lack of knowledge that was to blame:) ).

:up: I think I have met 'slyboots', but it's pretty archaic. (The pattern <adj>+<footwear> used to be more popular than it is today - and used chiefly when talking to babies ['clever-clogs', for example].)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back