Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, in VOA news, the "right/left wing" is always appearing. I know it is something related to politic, but I am not clear about the difference between them.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi, in VOA news, the "right/left wing" is always appearing. I know it is something related to politic, but I am not clear about the difference between them.
Have you tried googling it? By the way, please use a smaller font in your posts.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
LOL - bhai, I'm getting older. I rather like that font :)

Extreme liberals are the left wing and extreme conservatives are the right wing.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) You have asked a VERY difficult question.

(2) Here in the United States, "left wing" means that you are "more liberal" in your political

ideas; "right wing" means that you are "more conservative" in your political ideas.

BUT there is a big problem: :people do NOT agree on what the words "liberal" and "conservative"

mean.

(3) I am glad that you are getting information from the Voice of America. If you continue to follow the

news on the VOA, you will one day start to get a feeling for what Americans mean by "left wing" and

"right wing."

(a) Let me give you one example:

Maybe most right-wingers believe that our Constitution gives the right to most people to buy a gun

if she or he wants to; maybe most left-wingers feel that the government has the right to carefully control

who buys a gun and what kind of gun.

(b) OK, another example. Maybe most left-wingers think that it is very cruel for the government to

execute criminals; many right-wingers feel that murderers deserve to be executed.

(4) Are you starting to get the idea? Here in the United States, we have two large political parties.

The Republican Party is usually considered "right of center" and the Democratic Party is usually

considered "left of center."

(5) As the moderator suggested, read all that you can on the Web about these two terms. It is a

very complicated matter.

(6) Oh, by the way, it is a good idea NOT to call a person a "left-winger" or a "right-winger." Those

terms are often used as insults.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe most right-wingers believe that our Constitution gives the right to most people to buy a gun

Right wingers believe God gave us the natural right to self defense. The Constitution merely forbids the federal government from interfering with our natural rights.

One thing to understand about American politics is that they differ from those in Europe, though similar terms are used. "Conservatives" (right wing) in America wish to conserve the principals of the American revolution. Limited gov't and the state as a necessary evil are prime examples.

"Liberals" (left wing) in America view the state as a force for good and tend to want the state to have more power so it can help more people.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And I think this needs to conclude the lesson in American politics, before it becomes a political discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.