[Vocabulary] Making a production decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tack

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
When a customer decides to buy a product so that the product will be produced at a production plant, is it correct to say that the customer made a production decision? Or the customer decided to bring a product into production?

When a customer decides to buy a product so that the product will be produced at a production plant, is it correct to say that the customer made a production decision? Or the customer decided to bring a product into production?
If the item is not being produced until this specific customer orders it, it is still the manufacturer that is making a production decision, on the basis of how much the customer is offering, whether raw materials are available, etc.
The customer requests, or orders, the item.

And in this context it pains me to report that in some businesses they use the word 'productize': 'That's a good proof-of-concept breadboard*. How long will it take you to productize it'. I'm sorry, but it does happen.

b

PS *This is an example taken from the industry I know best; the prototype of a printed circuit is a 'breadboard'.

At first, I thought this must be a new buzzword to mean consumer driven purchase.

But Bob K's definition makes me think it means "get it into production" - get it manufactured or ready for market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back