Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would like to know which of the below mentioned sentences are GRAMMATICALLY correct,

1. Hope you have enjoyed last weekend with your family.
2. Hope you enjoyed last weekend with your family.

It would be great if I can get to know the difference also! :)

regards
Surya

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

"Hope you have enjoyed your last weekend with your family."
Same thing for the second sentence. Also, technically, there should be some sort of subject at the beginning of the sentence (i.e. I, they, we, he, John, Mary, etc.). However, it sometimes gets omitted in regular speech. In this case, the person you're speaking to would know that it is you who's doing the hoping.

Other than that, they're both fine. There's no semantic difference between the two.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) I may easily be wrong, but I detect a difference that has to do with timing. You have not given us the

context. That is, who was speaking to whom, and when did this conversation take place?

(2) Consider:

(a) "Hope that you have enjoyed this weekend with us." You might say this to your guests as they prepare

to leave your home.

(b) "Hope that you enjoyed that weekend with us." You might say this to your guests when speaking with

them on the phone a few weeks later.

(3) I most respectfully and humbly disagree with SlickVic's advice to add "your." I feel that some people would

interpret "your last weekend with your family" as meaning that it was the last time that you would ever spend

a weekend with your family.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

(3) That was actually how I interpreted it when I read this. I don't know why I got stuck on that track, but I apologize.

Also, now that I'm thinking about it in that light, the pluperfect doesn't sound right in that first sentence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.