Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
A pleasingly Eurocentric explanation links the name to Oscar Wilde who, years before on a US lecture tour, was asked if he had won the Newdigate Prize for Poetry. "Yes, but while many people have won the Newdigate, it is seldom that the Newdigate gets an Oscar," he retorted.
(Who was Oscar anyway?;The Guardian)

Does it mean here 'it is seldom that a person who won the Newdigate gets an Oscar'?

Thanks.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A pleasingly Eurocentric explanation links the name to Oscar Wilde who, years before on a US lecture tour, was asked if he had won the Newdigate Prize for Poetry. "Yes, but while many people have won the Newdigate, it is seldom that the Newdigate gets an Oscar," he retorted.
(Who was Oscar anyway?;The Guardian)

Does it mean here 'it is seldom that a person who won the Newdigate gets an Oscar'?

Thanks.

No, I think he's referring to the prize itself.

He's inverting the normal logical order we would expect of "Person X wins Prize Y" and saying instead we should think of it as "Prize Y wins Person X" - i.e. he's hinting (rather egotistically) that he himself (since his name is Oscar) is rarer and more of a prize than the Newsigate Prize itself!

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here's another thought:

T
he Oscar is the name of an award presented by Hollywood for outstanding performances in a variety of movie-making roles, ranging from best writing to set design to best costme, etc. It is very prestigious to win this award.

"it is seldom that the Newdigate gets an Oscar," he retorted.

The Newdigate is a pretty obscure award. I think he is saying that the notoriety of winning the Newdigate is not up to the level of winning the Oscar.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
While the Oscar is certainly more famous than the Newdigate, I can't think that that is the correct explanation. The fact of Wilde's first name, and the wit displayed if we follow my interpretation, make me pretty sure I'm right.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Here's another thought:

T
he Oscar is the name of an award presented by Hollywood for outstanding performances in a variety of movie-making roles, ranging from best writing to set design to best costme, etc. It is very prestigious to win this award.

"it is seldom that the Newdigate gets an Oscar," he retorted.

The Newdigate is a pretty obscure award. I think he is saying that the notoriety of winning the Newdigate is not up to the level of winning the Oscar.

The Hollywood "Oscar" did not exist in Oscar Wilde's lifetime.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry! I failed to do my research!.

Yes, you are correct.

I don't think Wilde thought much of the Newdigate so he didn't give it his personal "blessing" .

Quote from Wilde: “I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Hollywood "Oscar" did not exist in Oscar Wilde's lifetime.

Very clever of him to issue an utterance that becomes more witty decades after his death.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Very clever of him to issue an utterance that becomes more witty decades after his death.
Yes. Of course it's quite possible that Oscar Wilde never said any such thing and that the utterance was invented later as an explanation for the Oscars.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought it was Yogi Berra who said "I didn't really say everything I said."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, no. Every witty sentence in history was said by Oscar Wilde, just as every serious sentence was said by Winston Churchill.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

This is quite funny because Yogi Berra is one of the most misquoted sources of quotes. I'm 73% sure of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.