Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would guess you were asked "Brown or white?", regardless of whether it was bread or toast. Despite the fact that there are of course dozens of types of bread, you can pretty much split them all between whether they were made with brown flour (sometimes called wholemeal flour) or white flour. Most cafés and restaurants will simply have a straight brown/white choice.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would guess you were asked "Brown or white?", regardless of whether it was bread or toast. Despite the fact that there are of course dozens of types of bread, you can pretty much split them all between whether they were made with brown flour (sometimes called wholemeal flour) or white flour. Most cafés and restaurants will simply have a straight brown/white choice.

Ahh, thanks. I don't think she actually said "bread" or "toast", just "brown or white?" I think it played out with the waitress waiting for an answer, not getting one, adding "or both?" and I think we said "exactly, both!" not actually knowing what we were going to get :) I think in the States the comparable express would be "white or wheat" (and more now "whole-wheat").

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ahh, thanks. I don't think she actually said "bread" or "toast", just "brown or white?" I think it played out with the waitress waiting for an answer, not getting one, adding "or both?" and I think we said "exactly, both!" not actually knowing what we were going to get :) I think in the States the comparable express would be "white or wheat" (and more now "whole-wheat").

Well, you won't usually be asked whether you want bread or toast. The menu will state which one comes with whatever dish it is you're ordering. If you've ordered a sandwich, then it's just the bread you need to specify "brown or white" for. If you ordered a toasted sandwich, it would be the same "brown or white?" question because it's clear on the menu that it's toasted. If you order soup, it will usually come with a bread roll or a basket of bread so again you'll just be asked "brown or white".

About the only time I can imagine being offered a choice between bread and toast would be if I ordered a cooked breakfast. Then here might be a choice between "bread or toast" and then once you've chosen that, then "brown or white", but the standard stodgy meaty full English cooked breakfast would come with white bread as the default, probably either toasted or fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.