Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 241
    #1

    punctuation marks in a parenthesis

    Hello.

    Could anyone check the punctuation marks in the following parenthesis?

    (Group 1: Set 1: Item 1, Item 2, Item 3; Set 2: Item4, Item 5, Item 6)


    I'm not sure if I can use two colons in a row, but I don't know what else to use.
    This parenthesis is a part of a paragraph and there are sentences before and after it.
    I need to use a parenthesis. (I'm sorry I can't describe the context, but the situation is confidential. )

    The situation would be as follows if I describe it without a parenthesis:
    Group1
    Set 1
    Item 1
    Item 2
    Item 3
    Set 2
    Item 4
    Item 5
    Item 6

    Group 2
    Set 1
    Item 1
    Item 2
    Item 3
    Set 2
    Item 4
    Item 5
    Item 6
    Last edited by pinkie9; 22-Mar-2012 at 23:33.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #2

    Re: punctuation marks in a parenthesis

    I wouldn't even try to describe something with multiple levels of hierarchy on a single line like that.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: punctuation marks in a parenthesis

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkie9 View Post
    Hello.

    Could anyone check the punctuation marks in the following parenthesis?

    (Group 1: Set 1: Item 1, Item 2, Item 3; Set 2: Item4, Item 5, Item 6)


    I'm not sure if I can use two colons in a row, but I don't know what else to use.
    This parenthesis is a part of a paragraph and there are sentences before and after it.
    I need to use a parenthesis. (I'm sorry I can't describe the context, but the situation is confidential. )
    You don't have to expose the original. You could think of an analogy:
    "Cats: Domestic: shorthair, longhair, exotic; Wild: lion, tiger, jaguar; Fictional: Felix, Garfield, TopCat."
    I find that too confusing. The following is clearer:
    "Cats: Domestic (shorthair, longhair, exotic), Wild (lion, tiger, jaguar), Fictional (Felix, Garfield, TopCat)."
    But if the items are much longer than a siingle word, you'd be better expressing it vertically, with indents:
    Cats:
    ....Domestic
    ........Longhair, including Persians ...
    ........Shorthair, including British Shorthair ...
    ........Exotic, including SIamese, Burmese ...
    ....Wild
    ....
    Last edited by Raymott; 23-Mar-2012 at 06:19.

  3. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 241
    #4

    Re: punctuation marks in a parenthesis

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You don't have to expose the original. You could think of an analogy:
    Thank you so much for the nice example.
    So, you can use two colons in a row. That's what I wanted to know.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I wouldn't even try to describe something with multiple levels of hierarchy on a single line like that.
    Personally I wouldn't either, but I sometimes I have to translate a sentence like this written by someone who demands that the original style should not be changed.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 902
    #5

    Re: punctuation marks in a parenthesis

    I would prefer multiple lined indents, but if I had to serialize this, I might try:

    (Group 1 (Set 1 (Item 1, Item 2, Item 3)) (Set 2 (Item4, Item 5, Item 6)) Group 2 (...) )

  4. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 241
    #6

    Re: punctuation marks in a parenthesis

    Quote Originally Posted by BobSmith View Post
    I would prefer multiple lined indents, but if I had to serialize this, I might try:

    (Group 1 (Set 1 (Item 1, Item 2, Item 3)) (Set 2 (Item4, Item 5, Item 6)) Group 2 (...) )
    Thank you.
    Can we use parentheses in parentheses in a formal document unless otherwise specified in a style guide?

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: punctuation marks in a parenthesis

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkie9 View Post
    Thank you.
    Can we use parentheses in parentheses in a formal document unless otherwise specified in a style guide?
    That's a rather mathematical way to write it. I'm sure that in most cases, you'd be asked to try again if you presented that.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 902
    #8

    Re: punctuation marks in a parenthesis

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    That's a rather mathematical way to write it. I'm sure that in most cases, you'd be asked to try again if you presented that.
    "group", "set", "item" ... these are rather mathematical sounding terms. What kind of paper would you be writing with these kinds of things and not be able to write them in a rather mathematical way?

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #9

    Re: punctuation marks in a parenthesis

    Quote Originally Posted by BobSmith View Post
    "group", "set", "item" ... these are rather mathematical sounding terms. What kind of paper would you be writing with these kinds of things and not be able to write them in a rather mathematical way?
    Well, we don't know. I just assumed that this was how the OP decided to group the items together, not that the items were of a mathematical nature.

  7. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 241
    #10

    Re: punctuation marks in a parenthesis

    Sorry for the ambiguity. I want to use numbers (values) for only Items, but not for Goups and Sets.

Similar Threads

  1. punctuation marks
    By Ju in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2011, 16:29
  2. Are punctuation marks necessary?
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-May-2011, 02:48
  3. [Grammar] punctuation marks
    By Ashiuhto in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2011, 00:25
  4. Punctuation marks within quote marks
    By MoneyGuy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2009, 14:14
  5. Help with punctuation marks
    By jenniedepue in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2004, 09:30

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •