Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
While it's impressive that an algorithm was able to detect the parenthetical clause, a human editor from this century would be unlikely to add those commas.

In today's world, we humans depend more on things created/invented by us than trusting our own abilities.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have a grammar checker when I pasted the quote it just pointed out a few mistakes commas were one of them.
That's another example of a run-on sentence.

There are actually three sentences there. Please see if you can put that right.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
That's another example of a run-on sentence.

There are actually three sentences there. Please see if you can put that right.

I have a grammar checker when I pasted the quote; It pointed out a few mistakes, commas were one of them.

Is that right, now?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can use a semi-colon there (I wouldn't) but we don't use a capital letter after a semi-colon unless the next word is a proper noun.
The comma before "commas were one of them" is wrong.
The comma before "now" is wrong.

"I have a grammar checker when I pasted the quote" is ungrammatical. Did you mean "I used a grammar checker for the quote I posted"?

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
You will find on this forum that the mods and several of the VIP members are extremely reliable when it comes to spelling, punctuation and grammar. Most of them have many years of teaching and/or writing experience, and are far more likely to to tell you what is acceptable than any computer-generated spelling/grammar checker.

You will find on this forum that the mods and several of the VIP members are extremely reliable when it comes to spelling, punctuation and grammar. Most of them have many years of teaching and/or writing experience and are far more likely to [/STRIKE] tell you what is acceptable than any computer-generated spelling/grammar checker.

There is no doubt about the standard and qualification of Mods' and VIPs' regarding the English language. This site has something that makes me come here, ask questions. And I appreciate getting my questions being answered.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
You can use a semi-colon there (I wouldn't) but we don't use a capital letter after a semi-colon unless the next word is a proper noun.

"I have a grammar checker when I pasted the quote" is ungrammatical. Did you mean "I used a grammar checker for the quote I posted"?

yes, I did mean that.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

If I hadn't put a comma in the following sentence: Is that right now?
Don't you think it seems more of a complex sentence hard to infer what exactly it means?
"Right now" is an adverbial phrase that means "at the moment". Does the sentence make sense without a comma before "now"?

Status
Not open for further replies.