Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
For below two sentences:
- Therefore, this cannot be the responsibility of the parents alone.
- Educating children to understand the need to obey rules and respect others always begins in the home and is widely thought to be the responsibility of parents.

Why sometimes there is a "the" used before "parents", but sometimes not? Could any one tell the difference? Thanks a lot.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
For below two sentences:
- Therefore, this cannot be the responsibility of the parents alone.
- Educating children to understand the need to obey rules and respect others always begins in the home and is widely thought to be the responsibility of parents.

Why sometimes there is a "the" used before "parents", but sometimes not? Could any one tell the difference? Thanks a lot.
In the first sentence the parents have already been identified. It is already known which parents are being referred to.
The second sentence refers to parents in general, not any specific parents.

savemyenglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In the first sentence the parents have already been identified. It is already known which parents are being referred to.
The second sentence refers to parents in general, not any specific parents.

Sorry, this seems not clarified to me. The complete paragraph including the first sentence is as below:

A child’s education has never been about learning information and basic skills only. It has always included teaching the next generation how to be good members of society. Therefore, this cannot be the responsibility of the parents alone.

And this is the first paragraph of the whole essay, so "parents" was not mentioned anywhere prior to this. Therefore, it seems to me this first sentence is also referring to parents in general. Could you help answer more? Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sorry, this seems not clarified to me. The complete paragraph including the first sentence is as below:

A child’s education has never been about learning information and basic skills only. It has always included teaching the next generation how to be good members of society. Therefore, this cannot be the responsibility of the parents alone.

And this is the first paragraph of the whole essay, so "parents" was not mentioned anywhere prior to this. Therefore, it seems to me this first sentence is also referring to parents in general. Could you help answer more? Thanks!
Yes, what I've given you is a general rule. It's a guideline - it doesn't always work that way.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I saw some children loitering at the mall, I might say, "Someone should really talk with the parents about these truant kids!" I wouldn't say, "Someone should really talk with parents about these truant kids!" because we know which parents we are referring too, even if it hasn't come up before.

savemyenglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you both! Does it mean "the parents" can be used either for general or for specific parents? So can I say using "the" would always be correct, although without "the" would be more precise when referring to parents in general?

Or do you mean the first sentence is actually not so good in this context?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you both! Does it mean "the parents" can be used either for general or for specific parents? So can I say using "the" would always be correct, although without "the" would be more precise when referring to parents in general?

Or do you mean the first sentence is actually not so good in this context?
No, what I would say is that this thread demonstrates precisely that you can't make dogmatic statements like that. You can take my post as a guideline. Beyond that, you'll learn from experience when you have to use 'the', when you shouldn't, when you have a choice, etc.

savemyenglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, what I would say is that this thread demonstrates precisely that you can't make dogmatic statements like that. You can take my post as a guideline. Beyond that, you'll learn from experience when you have to use 'the', when you shouldn't, when you have a choice, etc.

This sounds plausible to me. Can I say the case of the first sentence is one of the circumstances under which I can have a choice? And is it better to remove 'the' if I write:
Therefore, this cannot simply be entirely the responsibility of parents.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This sounds plausible to me. Can I say the case of the first sentence is one of the circumstances under which I can have a choice? And is it better to remove 'the' if I write:
Therefore, this cannot simply be entirely the responsibility of parents.
Have the parents been identified? What's the context?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Even though the statement is not referring to a specific mother and father (parents), in your example it is referring to a specific group (parents) that is responsible as distinct from other groups, for example educators, coaches, religious etc.

savemyenglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Even though the statement is not referring to a specific mother and father (parents), in your example it is referring to a specific group (parents) that is responsible as distinct from other groups, for example educators, coaches, religious etc.

I get it now. Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.