Any other word or phrase to express "fart"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Dear all,

I wanted to know any other word or phrase can have same meaning of "fart", as I know this word is a taboo word, do you think so? Would you provide me the colloquial expression or idiomatic expression for releasing gas from anus? Thank you!

EngFan

One does not often discuss the subject in polite circles; if one does, one mght say, "break wind'.

You may wish to consult a doctor if you suffer from excessive flatulence.

British children sometimes produce 'botty-burps'. :roll:

Thanks all. But do you agree "fart" is a foul language?

Thanks all. But do you agree "fart" is a foul language?

Personally, no. As 5jj said, it's a topic you are unlikely to discuss in polite company anyway, but if you did, it's true that you probably wouldn't use the word "fart". That doesn't make it "foul language" though. I can't think of a term for "fart" which I would consider foul.

Slightly off-track, but on the subject of wind, I thought you might like this little ditty which you might sometimes hear after someone burps (belches):

Pardon me for being rude
It was not me, it was my food.
It just popped up to say hello
And now it's gone back down below.
If I had not let it pass
It would have come out of my ...
(bum)

But do you agree "fart" is foul language?

No, I don't. Just avoid using it in the company of people you think might be offended by it.

Like 5jj, I'd say 'break wind'; in AE they say 'pass wind'.

Rover

No, I don't. Just avoid using it in the company of people you think might be offended by it.

Like 5jj, I'd say 'break wind'; in AE they say 'pass wind'.

Rover
Rover, I've never heard 'pass wind' used in AmE. One is more likely to hear the question: "Who cut the cheese?" ;-)

When I was a child, if someone said "Who farted?", someone else would always say "The one who smelt it, dealt it".

When I was a child, if someone said "Who farted?", someone else would always say "The one who smelt it, dealt it".
The classic comeback line, emsr, is "The one who said the rhyme did the crime!" :cool:

The classic comeback line, emsr, is "The one who said the rhyme did the crime!" :cool:

I guess yours is the classic AmE comeback. Mine was the classic BrE comeback.

Her Britannic Majesty the Queen-Empress Victoria was once entertaining the His Imperial Majesty the Czar and Autocrat of all the Russias. They were riding in the open state coach through the grounds of Windsor Castle, when one of the horses raised its tail and expelled gas noisily and aromatically.

The rather strait-laced Victoria was very embarrassed; she turned to the Czar and said, "I am most terribly sorry, your Imperial Majesty".

"Think nothing of it, Your Imperial Majesty," replied the Czar. "Until you spoke, I thought it was the horse."

Last edited:
If you have litle or no taste, you may enjoy this. I am assuming that anyone who has stuck with this thread is not easily upset by the topic.

If you have :roll: little :roll: or no taste, you may enjoy this. I am assuming that anyone who has stuck with this thread is not easily upset by the topic.

charliedeut ;-)

If you have litle or no taste, you may enjoy this. I am assuming that anyone who has stuck with this thread is not easily upset by the topic.

Wow. I can't decide whether I'm impressed or appalled. I guess everyone has a talent! ;-)

A slightly nicer way to say it here is "hooted."

A joke in our house only is to refer to them as methane cuddles.

I think it's faked. Nobody can fart like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back