Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
" The emphasis on data gathered first-hand, combined with a cross-cultural perspective brought to the analysis of culture past and present, makes this study a unique and distinctly important social science." {ret173}

Please tell me what "combined with" modifies. Is it "data" or "emphasis" ?

Thanks!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's "emphasis".

Note that

" The

is incorrect. You should write

"The

Also, it should be

"emphasis"?

instead of

"emphasis" ?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
" The emphasis on data gathered first-hand, combined with a cross-cultural perspective brought to the analysis of culture past and present, makes this study a unique and distinctly important social science." {ret173}

Please tell me what "combined with" modifies. Is it "data" or "emphasis" ?

Thanks!
The two things that are "combined" are "the emphasis on data gathered first-hand" and "the cross-cultural perspective".
You can't reduce it to one word. The quality they are referring to is the emphasis that was placed on gathering data first-hand. If both of these things had been referred to, you could refer to "the combination of this emphasis and this perspective ... "

Anyhow, this sentence doesn't make sense. A study can't be a "social science".
{ret173} is not a reference either. Where did you get the sentence from?

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The two things that are "combined" are "the emphasis on data gathered first-hand" and "the cross-cultural perspective".
You can't reduce it to one word. The quality they are referring to is the emphasis that was placed on gathering data first-hand. If both of these things had been referred to, you could refer to "the combination of this emphasis and this perspective ... "

Anyhow, this sentence doesn't make sense. A study can't be a "social science".
{ret173} is not a reference either. Where did you get the sentence from?
I have to copy the whole paragraph as follows:

"All the social sciences focus upon the study humanity. Anthropology is a field -study oriented discipline which makes extensive use of the comparative method in analysis. The emphasis on data..."
This is quoted from the graduate student entrance test topic for 2003.

Thanks!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

"All the social sciences focus upon the study
of​
humanity. Anthropology is a field -study oriented discipline which makes extensive use of the comparative method in analysis. The emphasis on data..."
My trouble is how to understand " perspective". The key given is "a viewing angle" , (ie. 视角 in Chinese),But I think not. For me , the perspective should be a method at least, not an angle. Would you explain it for me?
Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

"All the social sciences focus upon the study
of​
humanity. Anthropology is a field -study oriented discipline which makes extensive use of the comparative method in analysis. The emphasis on data..."
My trouble is how to understand " perspective". The key given is "a viewing angle" , (ie. 视角 in Chinese),But I think not. For me , the perspective should be a method at least, not an angle. Would you explain it for me?
Thanks!

If the key doesn't help you understand what 'perspective' means, maybe a dictionary or three would help?

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If the key doesn't help you understand what 'perspective' means, maybe a dictionary or three would help?
I see, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.