Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following is a multible choice question I found in a grammar excercise book edited by some high school English teachers for their students .
" He told the story with so many gestures ___ children could fully understand.
A. where B.which C. that D. as "
The key opts for D in the book,which I have failed to fully understand.Is it another clumsily-written none-too-reasonale question which cannot hold water?If not, why couldn't "which" or "that" cannot be used in this context.Is it due to the presence of "so"? If so,are "which" and "that" both acceptable in the above context if "so" is removed from the sentence? I'm desperate for help.Thank you all.:)

I would be more grateful if anyone should be so kind as to point out the errors in my writing.Thank you all again.;-)

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, on the way.:-D
I'd go for C. I don't think D is correct.

Is it due to the presence of "so"?

Yes, that's why I'd choose C.

Please wait for other (native speakers') opinions.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd go for C too. It's probably a proofreading issue.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it due to the presence of "so"? If so,are "which" and "that" both acceptable in the above context if "so" is removed from the sentence?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

It is only my opinion that there are at least three "correct" sentences:

1. He told the story with so many gestures that (even) children could fully understand.

a. He told the story with many gestures.

b. Therefore, even children could fully understand the story.

2. He told the story with many gestures that (even) children could fully understand.

a. He told the story with many gestures.

b All or many of those gestures were understood even by children.

c. In American English, defining / restrictive clauses are introduced by "that." A defining clause defines something.

In this case, we are not talking about all kinds of gestures, only gestures that are understandable to children.

3. He told the story with many gestures, which even children could fully understand.

a. He told the story.

b. He used many gestures.

c. By a (happy) coincidence, even children could fully understand those gestures that he used.

d. I believe that both American and British English require "which" in non-defining clauses. A non-defining

clause is simply extra information. In No. 2, "that even children could fully understand" is absolutely necessary

information because it explains what kind of gesture; in No. 3, "which even children could fully understand" is

something like an "Oh, by the way" statement. If we delete (omit) it, the main sentence ("He told the story with

many gestures") still makes 100% sense.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.