Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Once a Frenchman got to England. But he didn't know much English. One day when he was sitting by the window of a restaurant and having dinner, he heard a voice "Look out! " So he put his head out of the window to find out what was happening outside. Just then a glass of dirty water poured(倒)over his head. Then another. He was very angry. He shouted, "Damn you(该死的)! See what you are doing."
The people in the street laughed at (嘲笑)him and that made him even angrier. One of the men said to him, "You must be a foreigner, 'Look out' in English means 'Be careful.'"

Question:
He put his head out of the window because .
A. He wanted to know what was going on outside
B. He heard someone shouting "Look out"
C. He didn't understand the real meaning of "Look out!"
D. He was a new comer there

The given answer is C. But I should think A is the best answer. "heard someone shouting 'looking out' but didn't understand --SO: "wanted to find out" --SO: "put his head out" . Am I right?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Once a Frenchman got to England. But he didn't know much English. One day when he was sitting by the window of a restaurant and having dinner, he heard a voice "Look out! " So he put his head out of the window to find out what was happening outside. Just then a glass of dirty water poured(倒)over his head. Then another. He was very angry. He shouted, "Damn you(该死的)! See what you are doing."
The people in the street laughed at (嘲笑)him and that made him even angrier. One of the men said to him, "You must be a foreigner, 'Look out' in English means 'Be careful.'"

Question:
He put his head out of the window because .
A. He wanted to know what was going on outside
B. He heard someone shouting "Look out"
C. He didn't understand the real meaning of "Look out!"
D. He was a new comer there

The given answer is C. But I should think A is the best answer. "heard someone shouting 'looking out' but didn't understand --SO: "wanted to find out" --SO: "put his head out" . Am I right?

C is correct. It's a very poorly written question.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think:
A works (So he put his head out of the window to find out what was happening outside.)
B works (he heard a voice call "Look out! " So he put his head out of the window to find out what was happening outside)
C works ("You must be a foreigner, 'Look out' in English means 'Be careful.'")

As bhai said, it's a very poorly written question.

Status
Not open for further replies.