Is this sentence grammatically correct?

"I like to feel the wet rain on my skin."

Thanks

Hello

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

"I like to feel the wet rain on my skin."

Thanks

Yes, but is "wet" really necessary?

Thanks. I guess not seeing as there is no such thing as dry rain! Not that I'm aware of anyway.

Is it actually incorrect to write "wet rain". I thought if you can say, "The rain is wet", you can say "wet rain".

Is it actually incorrect to write "wet rain". I thought if you can say, "The rain is wet", you can say "wet rain".

No, it's not incorrect, just unnecessary. (It's just as unnecssary with "wet rain".)

Is it actually incorrect to write "wet rain"? I thought if you can say, "The rain is wet", you can say "wet rain".

Why would you say "The rain is wet"? As you said yourself, there is no such thing as "dry rain" so neither the phrase nor the sentence are natural.

Have you lot got no souls? Where's your sense of poetry? Yes, of course we all know that rain is wet, but it strikes me that this phrase goes somewhat beyond that simple physical fact, and the speaker/writer emphasises the wetness of the rain to make a particular point. He/she could equally well have emphasised the coldness or warmth of the rain, or the softness or sting of the raindrops on skin....

....or shouldn't I have had that second postprandial whisky?

Have you lot got no souls? Where's your sense of poetry? Yes, of course we all know that rain is wet, but it strikes me that this phrase goes somewhat beyond that simple physical fact, and the speaker/writer emphasises the wetness of the rain to make a particular point. He/she could equally well have emphasised the coldness or warmth of the rain, or the softness or sting of the raindrops on skin....

Grumpy, you are bringing wet tears to my seeing eyes. Please pass the whiskey.

Slainte Mhath!

Only if you were worried about a fourth or fifth. ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back