Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Taken from Lance Armsrong's It's not about bike: my journey back to life -
Speaking about his step-father, the author said this

He sold food to grocery stores and he was every cliche of a travelling salesman, but he brought home a second paycheck and helped with the bills.

What is the meaning of "
he was every cliche of a travelling salesman" in this sentence?

Taken from Lance Armsrong's It's not about bike: my journey back to life -
Speaking about his step-father, the author said this

What is the meaning of "
he was every cliche of a travelling salesman" in this sentence?
Traveling salesmen are said to: drink too much, have affairs with many women, be loud, wear colorful clothing, tell many jokes, be aggressive, and so on. Armstrong is saying that his step-father had all of these characteristics.

Traveling salesmen are said to: drink too much, have affairs with many women, be loud, wear colorful clothing, tell many jokes, be aggressive, and so on. Armstrong is saying that his step-father had all of these characteristics.

So the construction is like this:
"be a cliche of a something (noun)"

What will I make out of other nouns without "travelling salesman", when I encounter such kind of sentences?

So the construction is like this:
"be a cliche of a something (noun)"

What will I make out of other nouns without "travelling salesman", when I encounter such kind of sentences?
Almost any type of person will work here. He was every cliche of a: sailor, logger, businessman, general, alcoholic, used car salesman. If you understand what a cliche is, and, if there are cliches about certain types of people, then, this structure can be used.

If you understand what a cliche is, and, if there are cliches about certain types of people, then, this structure can be used.

Didn't get you here. Really don;t know about "cliche". Can you please explain a bit more?

Have you looked up the word in a dictionary? What part of the definition is causing problems? Do you know the word "archtype"? It's similar.

Well, I think I got the meaning. But still have some question need to be clarified.

So the following sentence is also fine -
"I have every cliche of falling for older women"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back