Every generation before you [has also been] [was also] the most progressive generation that ever has/had ever been.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
I found this line in one of YouTube videos. I'm wondering why the speaker used the present perfect talking about previous generations. I thought that should be "Every generation before you was (these generations were in the past, no connection with the present) also the most progressive generation that had ever been (before each following)".
  • You are the most progressive generation that's ever been. That is true. But here's something for you. Every generation before you has also been the most progressive generation that has ever been.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm wondering why the speaker used the present perfect talking about previous generations.

Good. That's the right question.

The speaker here is talking about the current state or current situation regarding this generation, as it still exists now. Notice the consistent use of a present tense throughout the passage, beginning with You are ... . The perfect aspect is used to place a time frame leading up to the present moment.

It's typical to use the present perfect in cases like this that are retrospectively looking back at history and reflecting on it. In this particular case, he's comparing all the generations up to now.

Last edited: