Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does the underlined mean? Who is the subject of "making excuses"? The listeners? I mean, this is a self-improvement lecture given by a retiring professor. Why isn't there "you are wrong" to point out your mistake by feedback?

3)Get feedback and listen to it.
It can just be a single person who tells you what you need to hear. The hard part is listening to it. Anybody can get criticized. But it takes a special person to say ‘you are right’ instead of making excuses. When people give you feedback, cherish it and use it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does the underlined mean? Who is the subject of "making excuses"? The listeners? I mean, this is a self-improvement lecture given by a retiring professor. Why isn't there "you are wrong" to point out your mistake by feedback?

3)Get feedback and listen to it.
It can just be a single person who tells you what you need to hear. The hard part is listening to it. Anybody can get criticized. But it takes a special person to say ‘you are right’ instead of making excuses. When people give you feedback, cherish it and use it.

The sense of this is that the "feedback" is negative. Therefore, "you are right" indicates agreement from the one who is criticized.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
By "When people give you feedback, cherish it and use it." , it seems feedback seems to be positive. I'm sorry I can't get the whole story.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

By "When people give you feedback, cherish it and use it." , it seems feedback seems to be positive.

Not necessarily. The feedback might be critical, as Mike suggests, and the writer is saying that you should cherish the negative feedback too because you can learn from it. So when you get negative feedback that you feel has some merit, tell the person that they are right instead of trying to make excuses.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By "When people give you feedback, cherish it and use it." , it seems feedback seems to be positive. I'm sorry I can't get the whole story.

JMurray is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.