[Vocabulary] what verb do you use in English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
If a road along a mountain, or whatever kind of road, has been closed off by the authorities because there has been a rock slide, what verb can I use to complete the following sentence: We cannot turn off this road because it has slid down...

1) Is the verb in bold correct or would you have used another one to say that, such as, "fall down", "tumble" down"...? Others?
2) Is the construction of "turn off" correct or can I also say "turn off into this road"?

Thank you very much for your help.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If a road along a mountain, or whatever kind of road, has been closed off by the authorities because there has been a rock slide, what verb can I use to complete the following sentence: We cannot turn off this road because it has slid down...

1) Is the verb in bold correct or would you have used another one to say that, such as, "fall down", "tumble" down"...? Others?
2) Is the construction of "turn off" correct or can I also say "turn off into this road"?

Thank you very much for your help.
If you write that you cannot turn off this road it means that you are on the road and cannot leave it. If you write that you cannot turn off onto this road it means you cannot enter this road. In the US, one will occasionally see signs such as "Road Closed Rock Slide Ahead". You could write that the road has slid down but that would mean that the entire road moved, an improbable occurrence. It is more likely to say that we cannot use this road because of a rock slide. In those areas susceptible to landslides the local people would probably say something like "The road is closed at milepost 14 because of another rock slide".

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
...You could write that the road has slid down but that would mean that the entire road moved, an improbable occurrence...

It may not be that improbable, if you check the following link;

road slide - Google'da Ara

Of course, I agree that it is not what the op meant to ask.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
If you write that you cannot turn off this road it means that you are on the road and cannot leave it. If you write that you cannot turn off onto this road it means you cannot enter this road. In the US, one will occasionally see signs such as "Road Closed Rock Slide Ahead". You could write that the road has slid down but that would mean that the entire road moved, an improbable occurrence. It is more likely to say that we cannot use this road because of a rock slide. In those areas susceptible to landslides the local people would probably say something like "The road is closed at milepost 14 because of another rock slide".

On the basis of what you've written, I've caught that I can say, "Do not turn off onto that road because there's a rock slide." but there is not a real verb to use when talking about the action of the road closed off for a rock slide. And, if I got exactly what you've written, a road can't slide down, but a mountain or a hill can do it on a road (for example built around and along them), am I right?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It may not be that improbable, if you check the following link;

road slide - Google'da Ara

Of course, I agree that it is not what the op meant to ask.
My point exactly. If you look at the pictures you will see that the entire road didn't slide, only parts of the road slid. I live in the western part of the US and we subject to road slides here for a number of reasons. The state agency in charge of roads here, CalTrans, will erect signs when there is a slide on a road. Such signs may be written this way "Slide ahead - Local traffic only - road closed at milepost 14"

Status
Not open for further replies.