What does "Trial closes I have practiced" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello there,

"Trail closed I have practiced" is a sentence I found in a job interview handbook, but have no idea what this mean?

Thanks,

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please confirm whether we are considering 'Trial closes' or 'Trail closed'.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Honestly, it wouldn't make a bit of different to me whether it was "Trail" or "Trial" -- it makes no sense to me at all!

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
...and is it 'closes' or 'closed'?

...and what sort of job was it?

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
it is "closes". The sentence just comes from a list of suggestions for job seeker at the end of job interview.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I assume that the "close" is the final part of a job interview - the interviewee's last opportunity to make an impression. The person has been testing out different versions of what he/she might say during that part of the interview.
If you have a "trial run" of something, you practice it as if it were real. I assume he/she has been running through various options of what to say at the end of a job interview.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Crown Court judges do trial closes, I think, but so far as I know, job seekers rarely get appointed to those positions.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello there,

"Trail closed I have practiced" is a sentence I found in a job interview handbook, but have no idea what this mean?

Thanks,
In sales, a trial close is an attempt to see if the prospect is ready to buy. The salesperson will ask some questions of the buyer to see if he/she is ready. If the prospect is not ready to purchase, the salesperson will continue with his/her sales presentation. After some time the salesperson will attempt another trial close to see if the buyer is ready yet. I assume this is about the person interviewing for a job and the various ways he/she will ask the interviewer if he/she will get the job - "So, do you think I will fit in here (Did I get the job)? I can start the first of next week (I'm ready, how about you)".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That makes as much sense as anything but is there anyone here who thinks if the job seeker said "Trial closes I am ready" they would be understood?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That makes as much sense as anything but is there anyone here who thinks if the job seeker said "Trial closes I am ready" they would be understood?
"Trial closes I have practiced"
What this means is that writer is listing some different "closes" he practiced. To "close" a deal is to end it with a favorable result. Maybe you bought a house once and the real estate agent talked about the "closing". The "closing" is when all parts of the transaction are finalized. Some different things he could say to the person (The trial closing or the attempt to see if he got the job) conducting the interview are: "When should I start? The salary is fine with me when do I start? I think I meet all of your requirements, don't you?" The person applying for the job would practice these "closing" so he could be ready for the real interview. In sales, especially in high-end products or services, a salesperson is taught to go through a number of trial closings with a customer until the customer is ready to buy. Think of the person conducting the interview as a sales prospect and the person trying to get a job as a salesperson (Which he really is - he is trying to sell himself).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah! You're saying it's a heading! And under that heading are the "trial closes." I understood exactly what meant with your description of "trial closes" and didn't need a restatement.

I just couldn't see how it fit with "I have practiced." I thought my statement to the effect of it not making sense for the job seeker to use that phrase exactly would have made it clear I was seeing it as a bizarre statement he or she would use. All I needed to see what "It's a heading."

As a heading, it makes sense.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I understand the previous explanation/description of the sentence but What do you mean by a heading?

Ah! You're saying it's a heading! And under that heading are the "trial closes." I understood exactly what meant with your description of "trial closes" and didn't need a restatement.

I just couldn't see how it fit with "I have practiced." I thought my statement to the effect of it not making sense for the job seeker to use that phrase exactly would have made it clear I was seeing it as a bizarre statement he or she would use. All I needed to see what "It's a heading."

As a heading, it makes sense.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A heading or header tells you what is going to follow.

Good Introductory Lines
[followed by a list of ways to start the conversation]

Questions to Ask the Interviewer
[followed by a list of questions]

Trial Closes
[followed by a list of ways to try to "close the deal" as Gil explained]

Status
Not open for further replies.