Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hi everyone,

I do not understand why Past Perfect is used at the beginning here.

"I had just arrived home last night when I remembered that I had left my keys in the office." (example taken from "Headway")

Why do we need "HAD" at the beginning of the sentence here? Can't we just say it like this:

"I just arrived home last night when I remembered that I had left my keys in the office." (first "arrived" then "remembered" consecutive actions)

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi everyone,

I do not understand why Past Perfect is used at the beginning here.

"I had just arrived home last night when I remembered that I had left my keys in the office." (example taken from "Headway")

Why do we need "HAD" at the beginning of the sentence here? Can't we just say it like this:

"I just arrived home last night when I remembered that I had left my keys in the office." (first "arrived" then "remembered" consecutive actions)

Thank you.

You arrived home before you remembered.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In this post, Barb_D said "You need some other act in the past to use the past perfect".
Then may I say "You need to use the past perfect when it happened before some other act in the past"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In this post, Barb_D said "You need some other act in the past to use the past perfect".
Then may I say "You need to use the past perfect when it happened before some other act in the past"?

It could be another action or a time. Also, we don't always have to use the past perfect- in most narratives events happens one after the other but we use the past. The past perfect helps connect the two things.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

You could say I arrived home and remembered that.... However, the simple past doesn't work here with just...when, which are deliberately sequencing the actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.