Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:up:Unlike other arachnids, which have their nerve cells evenly distributed along their body,
the scorpion has a cluster of nerve cells in its head, as a mammal does.:tick:

:?: I enthusiasticly discussed the word body with some Chinese and it really made me feel confused.
In my understanding/feel, I really want to use bodies very very much;-) and I feel that bodies is really better than body.
even if I know body here is a conception of a whole.
Can bodies be used here? It's my question.

Sinere thanks!!!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

This time I agree with you!

I feel that "bodies" is preferable because the class of "other arachnids" is made up of many different types of arachnid.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I feel that "bodies" is preferable because the class of "other arachnids" is made up of many different types of arachnid.

:)And I even have a simpler idea:
Since there are obviously 2 or more insects, it's very very natural to use bodies.

Can the simpler idea (or understanding) be accepted?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Yes, it can.

But I think that if the other spiders (which aren't insects by the way) were all the same species, we would get back to the idea of "body" as a whole.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Even multiple arachnids of the same species have individual bodies. I would only use "body" if the sentence started with "the arachnid".

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yesterday night, I was meditating the problem until asleep.:)
At 1st I felt Roman55's words are very reasonable, later in my feel the original sentence is a very very good sentence
and at least the meaning is clarified very much.

A contrast to B:
A) other arachnids(we are unnecessary to care about the types or quantities): one body, some nerve cells along the body
B) scorpions(belong to arachnid): one body, a cluster of nerve cells in the head
ps: The first time I saw the original sentence, I really want to use bodies to substitute body! :):oops:
Thanks all!!! I am very very moved by Mike, Roman55 and Rover's help!!!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Yesterday[/STRIKE] Last night, I was meditating on/thinking about the problem until I fell asleep.:)
At [STRIKE]1st[/STRIKE] first, I felt Roman55's words [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] were very reasonable. Later [STRIKE]in my feel[/STRIKE] I felt/I started to feel that the original sentence [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was a very [STRIKE]very[/STRIKE] good sentenceand [STRIKE]at least[/STRIKE] the meaning [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] has been clarified very [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] well.

[STRIKE] ps[/STRIKE] PS: The first time I saw the original sentence, I really wanted to use bodies to substitute body! :):oops:
Thanks all! [STRIKE]!![/STRIKE] I am very [STRIKE]very[/STRIKE] moved by Mike, Roman55 and Rover's help! [STRIKE]
!!
[/STRIKE]

Please see my corrections to your post above in red.

Status
Not open for further replies.