[General] What to say when calling back an unknown phone number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello there,

I always receive unknown calls from someone but have no idea what to say if call them back. I mean like do I need to say "hello, this is (full name), who was calling me a few minutes ago?" But that sounds wired....Can anyone teach me what to say?

Thanks,

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If the caller lacks the courtesy to leave their name I would never call them back in any circumstances.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello there,

I always receive unknown calls from someone but have no idea what to say if call them back. Can anyone teach me what to say?

Thanks,

Why are you receiving these calls?

Last edited by a moderator:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If there is some reason you feel you MUST find out who called you, you could say "Hello, I've just received a call from this number, but there was no message. Were you trying to reach me?" Don't identify yourself. If they were trying to reach you with a legitimate reason, they can say "Yes, is this Barb D? Thank you for calling us back."

I can imagine that if I got a call from someone with my mother's area code, I'd call back -- it could be her using someone else's phone or a neighbor or doctor who didn't want to leave a message. But mostly, in my experience, when an unknown number calls and doesn't leave a message, it was either a telemarketer or a wrong number. You have nothing to gain by calling either back.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, you can ignore them. Since living in Hong Kong, where no one uses voicemail (except expats) I returned to Canada only to realize I also hated voicemail, and don't even like the telephone that much. So I honestly view all calls as a mere offer, which I can ignore or not.

Aubree

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The error, my phone number says Unknown, can be fixed through different methods. This method below will help with unknown phone number fix error easily. It mainly depends on your device; you can fix the error by executing these steps if you have a Samsung device. Here from the Home screen, touch the option of Apps and then Contacts. Then touch the ME entry in case this entry is blank you'll require to touch and hold on to it instead and then choose the option of Edit. Now touch the pencil icon that you will see in the top-right corner of the screen and then touch the drop-down box below the option of Phone and choose the option of Mobile. Now enter your phone's number in the empty field next to it. In the end, touch the option of save as you'll have a record of your phone's number within easy reach even if it is not listed in the settings.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you, Aubree, but the OP, who posted this question eight years ago and has not been heard from for three years, and may not have a Samsung device anyway, has probably lost interest in this thread.

Please note that when replying to posts, you should state that you are not a teacher, in accordance with the forum rules.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think we can safely say the OP is no longer taking an active part in this thread so I'm locking it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The error "My phone number says 'unknown'", can be fixed through by using several different methods.

This The method below will help with the "unknown phone number" fix error easily. It mainly depends on your device; you can fix the error by executing these steps if you have a Samsung device.

Here From the Home screen, touch choose/click the option of "Apps" and then "Contacts".

Then touch choose/click the "ME" entry option.

in case If this entry is blank, you'll require need to touch press and hold on to it instead and then choose the option of "Edit".

Now touch click the pencil icon that you will see in the top no hyphen here right corner of the screen and then, touch from the drop-down box below, the option of click "Phone" and choose the option of then "Mobile".

Now enter your phone's phone number in the empty field next to it.

In the end Finally, touch the option of click "Save"; as then you'll have a record of your phone's phone number within easy reach even if it is not listed in the settings.
1. This has nothing to do with the original question. These are the instructions for how to save your own phone number to your contacts list. That's not what the OP was asking.
2. Whatever it might say in Aubree's member profile, this post clearly wasn't written by a native English speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.