Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
India were all out for 482 following lunch on the third day.

Does 'were all out' mean 'were trying hard' in this sentence? And what does 'for 482' mean?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the context of this sentence?

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There is no context. I was reading the COLLINS COBUILD USAGE when I came across this sentence in the entry of 'following':

India were all out for 482 following lunch on the third day. This use is fairly common, but many
people think that it is incorrect. Insentences like these, it is better to use after, rather than `following'.

And I feel puzzled by what the sentence means.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Following" is fine; "after" is OK also.

I think this is a reference to "cricket".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, this is about cricket. It means that all the players on the Indian side were "out" (bowled out, caught out etc) but before they were all out, they had managed to score 482 runs in their innings.
If you don't know anything at all about cricket, most of what I have just said will be meaningless. It is one of the most difficult sports to explain to someone who knows nothing at all about it. The rules are a little like baseball (cricket purists will be jumping up and down in horror at the moment!) but only in the sense that there are two teams, one of which bats and the other fields and the idea is to get the other team all out without them scoring any runs (home runs in baseball). There the similarity ends.

And we almost always say "following lunch" in a cricket context. There is nothing wrong with "after lunch" but "following" is traditionally used.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Baseball fans would jump up and down also.

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you ever so much for the great trouble you took, moderator, and Mike and Barb. After reading your replies, I did quite some web research on cricket and got to understand the sentence and learned quite a bit about cricket as well. Thank you very much again.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Cricket as explained to a foreigner. Often seen in pubs in my youth.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sounds absolutely fascinating. :roll:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Baseball fans would jump up and down also.

Both sports are completely impenetrable to outsiders. I have seen the news in Japan hundreds of times and am no clearer about what the stream of baseball statistics means. Over the same time, I have accidentally acquired a reasonable understanding of sumo wrestling, which makes far more sense. Baseball, like cricket, cannot be learned by passive assimilation. I think comparing them on the yadda yadda scale is fair. Both sports have contributed disproportionately to sporting idioms because they had to as they make no sense. ;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

And somewhere along the way, they all stop for tea.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Both sports are completely impenetrable to outsiders. I have seen the news in Japan hundreds of times and am no clearer about what the stream of baseball statistics means. Over the same time, I have accidentally acquired a reasonable understanding of sumo wrestling, which makes far more sense. Baseball, like cricket, cannot be learned by passive assimilation. I think comparing them on the yadda yadda scale is fair. Both sports have contributed disproportionately to sporting idioms because they had to as they make no sense. ;-)

The goal of baseball in one sentence: "Hit it where they ain't."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just a small point of clarification to this most enjoyable thread: A "home run" is not needed to score.

A run = 1 "point" = contributing to the score. That happens when a person crosses home plate after touching (however briefly) the three bases (first base, second base, third base). You can hit the ball "to where they ain't" and get on first (a single) and wait there for the next batter to do somethning. You can hit it even better and touch first and run directly to second base for a double. Triples are rare in professional baseball. If the ball is in play, you expect the team playing defense to get the balll to third before you can run there. The batter's job is to advance the runners - get them to the next base and/or home. He doesn't have to hit a "home run."

A "home run" is when the batter hits the ball far enough that he can run around all of the bases in one go. Usually this means out of the playing area and into the stands. If there are already runners on the bases, they get to come home too. A "grand slam home run" is when there are players at first, second, and third, so that when the batter hits a home run. Those are very exciting for the fans of the team that gets them and devesating for the fans of the team playing defense. Especially when it comes at the end of the game.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is no context. I was reading the COLLINS COBUILD USAGE when I came across this sentence in the entry of 'following':

I believe we have mentioned before that "This sentence was in the entry for [word] in the COLLINS COBUILD USAGE" is indeed context.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "inside-the-park" home run is exceedingly rare, but it does happen.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hence my "usually" in the description. The Tigers had a grand slam homer in the bottom of the 9th the other day. Super exciting.

Now waiting to hear the rules of sumo wrestling!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yep, I was just throwing out some more baseball lingo.

The Pirates had a player start off the 10th inning the other night with a single. He then stole second. He got caught in a rundown when the next batter grounded the ball, but evaded it and ended up on third. He ended up being left on base, so he hit a walk off homer the next time he was up.

He really wanted to win that night.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I am not a teacher.

I wonder whether Groucho Marx or The Monty Python could have made it any clearer! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.