Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I walked in a lift which was going down. A woman came out on 7/F because she thought the lift had arrived at the ground floor. How do native speakers
say if you want to remind her?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You walked/stepped "into" the lift and the woman "got out of" the lift on a specific floor.

What are you trying to remind the woman about? You can only remind someone of something that you told them earlier or that you think they want to remember. Are you simply trying to tell​ her that she's not on the ground floor?

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
You walked/stepped "into" the lift and the woman "got out of" or "got off" the lift on a specific floor.

What are you trying to remind the woman about? You can only remind someone of something that you told them earlier or that you think they want to remember. Are you simply trying to tell​ her that she's not on the ground floor?

Thanks, ems.

I just want to tell​ her that she's not on the ground floor. I know she lives upstairs.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then just say something like "We're on 7F, not the ground floor" or "This isn't the ground floor". How do you know that she doesn't want to get off on 7F? How do you know she wants to get off on the ground floor?

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Then just say something like "We're on 7F, not the ground floor" or "This isn't the ground floor". How do you know that she doesn't want to get off on 7F? How do you know she wants to get off on the ground floor?

Thanks ems.

I know she doen't have any friends living on 7/F. Normally she would get off on the ground floor. Is it natural to say "It isn't the ground floor"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about This is the 7th floor?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks ems.

I know she doesn't have any friends living on 7/F. Normally she would get off on the ground floor. Is it natural to say "It isn't the ground floor"?

In your original post, you said "A woman ...". I assumed that you didn't know her. If you know this woman well enough to know that she has no friends who live in floor 7F and you know she has no other reason for being there, then she is not just "A woman". She is perhaps one of your neighbours or she is a friend. Saying "A woman" sounds like it's a complete stranger.

"It isn't the ground floor" is not natural. As I said in my last post "This​ isn't the ground floor" would be natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.