English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is the following sentence grammatical?

Having identified the participants of the study, the next step involved determining research design.

Better:

Since the participants of the study had been identified, the next step involved determining research design.

:)

Having identified the participants of the study, the next step involved determining research design.

Would this be better:

The participants of the study have been identified. The next step is to determine the research design.

not a teacher

No, but this would:

The participants of the study have been identified, the next step is to determine the research design.

No, but this would:

The participants of the study have been identified, the next step is to determine the research design.

Don't you need a conjunction to join the two clauses in the sentence?

With all respect, your sentence is a comma splice. The comma should be a semicolon.

Rover might have meant:

The participants of the study having been identified, the next step is to determine the research design.

More than likely.

I did indeed. I misread your post #4, tedmc. I saw what I was expecting to see and not was right before my eyes.

Thanks for putting me right, Mike and tzfujimino.

My apologies to you all and to anybody else who has been confused by my foul up.

:oops:

Would this be better:

The participants of the study have been identified. The next step is to determine the research design.

Your revision is a good one. The difference is it is two sentences. However, it is neither better nor worse than the other one (mine).

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back