At an outdoor restaurant, a cockroach flew in and landed on a woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
At an outdoor restaurant, a cockroach flew in and landed on a woman. She started screaming out of fear; with a panic stricken face and trembling voice, she started jumping, with both her hands desperately trying to get rid of the cockroach. Her reaction was spreading, as everyone in her group also got into a panic. The woman finally managed to flick the cockroach away but it landed on a man in the group who continued the drama. In the relay of throwing, the cockroach next fell upon a waitress who had rushed to their rescue.

The waitress stood firm, calmed herself and observed the behavior of the cockroach on her blouse. When she was confident enough, she grabbed it and threw it out of the restaurant.

Sipping my coffee and watching the amusement, I started wondering: was the cockroach responsible for their funny behavior? If so, then why was the waitress not disturbed? She handled the situation to near perfection, without panic.

It was not the cockroach, but the inability of the customers to handle the disturbance caused by the cockroach that disturbed them. I realized that it’s not the shouting of my children or my boss or my wife that disturbed me, but my inability to handle the disturbances caused by their shouting.

It’s not the traffic jams on the road that disturb me, but my inability to handle the disturbance caused by the traffic jam. More than the problem, it’s my reaction to the problem that creates chaos in my life.

I understood. I should not react in life. I should always respond. The customers reacted, whereas the waitress responded. Reactions are always instinctive while responses tend to be well thought out.

According to the passage, if you ran into a traffic jam, you might ​( ) in your car.
A. complain your delay
B. feel upset and annoyed
C. relax yourself by listening to music
D. expect someone to clear the road

I chose B, but the answer is C.
I think if C is chosen, ‘might’ should be changed into ‘should’ in the statement.
How do you think?
Thanks.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
With "might" any one of the responses is possible.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For me, "complain your delay" is not grammatical. One could say "complain about your delay".

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi diamondcuttter,

If the answer was C, your logic is impeccable.

--lotus

Status
Not open for further replies.