Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
A.B.C.D.E

Lets say there are 5 seats in a row as above. I am sitting at position A. Peter was sitting at position C.

I want to contact Peter and say I am the guy sitting at position A.

How to say it? I talked to Peter briefly and I just connected him through messages, so I want him to remember who am I.

"Hello Peter,

I was the guy sitting left left of you while we were at the dinner. Chatted with you about..."

(left, left of Peter is A where I was sitting.)

Please help me express my thoughts properly.

Thanks

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I talked to Peter briefly and I just connected him through messages, so I want him to remember who [STRIKE]am I[/STRIKE] I am.

You say:
I was sitting on the left of the row and you (Peter) were third from the left ( as in a picture).

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You can't say "left left" or "next next". (You need to decide whether you are the guy, or were the guy sitting next to him - you use both. I'll assume the latter abrogates the former.)
"I was the guy sitting two down from you on your right."

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
You can't say "left left" or "next next". (You need to decide whether you are the guy, or were the guy sitting next to him - you use both. I'll assume the latter abrogates the former.)
"I was the guy sitting two down from you on your right."

A.B.C.D.E

I am not the guy sitting next to Peter. I am at A. Peter is at C. There is another guy sitting at B.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I know. That's why you are sitting two seats away to Peter's right - two seats down from Peter. Similarly, he is sitting two seats to your left.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I know. That's why you are sitting two seats away to Peter's right - two seats down from Peter. Similarly, he is sitting two seats to your left.

"One seat away from you" means "the seat next to you"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Effectively, yes, but we wouldn't say it that way. We would say "next to you". "Two seats away/along from you" is the natural term for what you have described. You might also hear "Two seats up/down from you" - it has nothing to do with elevation, it's just a term we use.

Last edited:

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
In addition to the good points by Raymott and Emsr2d2, in this specigic situation where you were sitting at the end of a row I would say, "I was sitting on your far left at dinner".

You could use this whether there were one or more people sitting between the two of you.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'I was sitting next but one to you on your left.'

Last edited:

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
In addition to the good points by Raymott and Emsr2d2, in this specigic situation where you were sitting at the end of a row I would say, "I was sitting on your far left at dinner".

You could use this whether there were one or more people sitting between the two of you.

I was not sitting at the far end. It was a round table. something like KLMABCDEFGHIJ forming a circle.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Ahh. Your original post threw me. "Lets say there are 5 seats in a row as above."

To me a "row" is always a straight line (or a very nearly straight line), with a start and end.

I would have said "sitting around a circular table".

Now I understand the scenario, I would use what Raymott and Emsr2d2 have written.

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I was not sitting at the far end. It was a round table. something like KLMABCDEFGHIJ forming a circle.

I am not a teacher.

So, in fact, you were sitting almost opposite him.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Don't you think it would have been good to mention the round table in the beginning?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
At a round table, if the other person is sitting at position A and you are sitting at position C, you could say "I was sitting 2 seats round/away from you, to your left/right".

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
This does not makes sense, I am sitting at peter left side, why is it that i am two seats away to peter's right?

I should say to Peter "Hi Peter, I am sitting two seats to your left". Is that correct?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I am sitting at peter left side, why is it that i am two seats away to peter's right?

There is only one left and one right (as in Peter's left hand and right hand). You are contradicting yourself.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
There is only one left and one right (as in Peter's left hand and right hand). You are contradicting yourself.

vuQMJCU.png

This is how it looks like. Is saying "Hi Peter, I am sitting two seats to your left". Is that correct?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You are two seats to Peter's left (use Peter's left and right hands as reference).

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
So is this correct?: "Hi Peter, I am sitting two seats to your left during the dinner"

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi Peter, I [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] was sitting two seats to your left during (at) the dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.