Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Greece
I see phrases such as "easily available" and "readily available" everywhere. However "easily" is an adverb so surely such usage is incorrect? Would it be more correct to use, for example, "easily found"?

What expression would you recommend to replace "easily available" (if, in fact, it really is incorrect)?

Many thanks in advance.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
'Readily available' is probably better than 'easily available', but there is nothing grammatically wrong with either of them.

'Easily' is an adverb and 'available' is an adjective. So what's the problem? And why didn't you think there was anything wrong with 'readily'?

Koronas

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Greece
'Readily available' is probably better than 'easily available', but there is nothing grammatically wrong with either of them.

'Easily' is an adverb and 'available' is an adjective. So what's the problem?

I thought the purpose of an adverb was to modify (?) a verb. Available - as you say - is an adjective, not a verb.

And why didn't you think there was anything wrong with 'readily'?
I didn't say that. They are both adverbs.

Take another example:
1. "The problem is easily rectifiable" and 2. "the problem is easily rectified."

It seems to me that example 1 uses an adjective (wrong) and example 2 uses a verb (correct).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you need to remember a useful sentence to remind you that an adverb can modify an adjective, use "I am happily married". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.