[Grammar] trending music or music trending ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

danghuynh88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi experts, I am just wondering which one is correct ? I know trending is adjective but I see people still use music trending sometimes ? Can you help me this please.

Thanks everyone a lot

'Trending' is not always an adjective. You will have to give us an example sentence. There's nothing either right or wrong about "trending music" or "music trending" as phrases.

Hi Ray, thanks for your answer, I am just using it in a normal question " what is a trending music in state " or something like that. If there is nothing either right or wrong about it then when to use the right one ?

How about What music is trending in xxxx?

Good question! Let's fix it up, then give it back to Ray.

1. Sentences that are questions begin with capital letters and end with question marks.

2. We don't say "a trending music." The article "a" does not make sense with "music." You can't count music. You CAN count songs.

3. We don't say "in state" unless we're (a) talking about a dead head of government "lying in state" or (b) describing a location: "He's going to college in-state. She's going to college out-of-state." We DO say "in this state," "in that state," "in your state," "in my state," in Maria's state," and so on.

So these are grammatical:

- What is the trending music in your state?
- What music is trending in your state?
- What is a trending song in your state?
- What songs are trending in your state?

Do you like any of those?

Hi Charlie, thanks for pointing it out. The first one sounds exactly what I meant but can I also say "What is the music trending in your state?"

Hi Charlie, thanks for pointing it out. The first one sounds like exactly what I meant. [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]c[/STRIKE]Can I also say "What is the music trending in your state?"

No. You could say What music is trending in your state?

You'll notice, danghuynh88, that "trending" is most often a present participle in the above sentences, not an adjective. That is why I asked for a sentence.
"This music is trending." (participle)
"This is trending music." (adjective)
In other cases, -ing words can be nouns (gerunds). That is why a two-word phrase can't usually be discussed meaningfully without a wider context, such as a full sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back