Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Today, (on) May 28, 2016, the day of uncovering of Relics of St. Elias, the brethren and piligrims of Svyatogorsk Lavra prayerfully honoured God's Saint. Metropolitan Arseny in concelebration of the whole Lavra's clergy held a moleben with Akathist to the Eldery, the Patron of Donbass and the whole of our district. The icon of Saint and silver-gilded reliquary in form of a miter, made in 2015 for the part of the precious Head of St. Elias, were taken out of sancrisity for popular adoration.

Is "on" necessary in this context?
Should you have any other remarks, please let me know.

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. In fact, it would be wrong.

When you write brethren, do you mean monks? Unless the archaic plural brethren is used normally by Anglophones associated with the church, you should write "brothers".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Today, [STRIKE](on) [/STRIKE]May 28, 2016, the day of the uncovering of the relics of St. Elias, the [STRIKE]brethren[/STRIKE] monks/brothers and [STRIKE]piligrims[/STRIKE] pilgrims of Svyatogorsk Lavra [STRIKE]prayerfully[/STRIKE] honoured God's Saint through prayer/by praying.

Metropolitan Arseny (I don't know what that means) in [STRIKE]concelebration[/STRIKE] a joint celebration [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] with the whole of Lavra's clergy, held a moleben (that's not an English word) with Akathist to the Eldery (are you sure about that word?), the Patron of Donbass and the whole of our district. The icon of the saint and a silver-gilded reliquary in the form of a miter, made in 2015 [STRIKE]for the[/STRIKE] as part of the precious head of St. Elias, were taken out of the [STRIKE]sancrisity[/STRIKE] sacristy for [STRIKE]popular[/STRIKE] adoration by many people.

Is "on" necessary in this context?
Should you have any other remarks, please let me know.

Thank you.

See above. As you can see, I have some queries about some of the terminology.

Ksenia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
See above. As you can see, I have some queries about some of the terminology.

I appreciate your reply.
Metropolitan - in most Eastern Orthodox churches, a bishop who is head of an ecclesiastical province and ranks next below the patriarch.
Moleben is a prayer service.
Yes, you are right. It should be "Elder" not "Eldery".

Last edited:

Ksenia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No. In fact, it would be wrong.

When you write brethren, do you mean monks? Unless the archaic plural brethren is used normally by Anglophones associated with the church, you should write "brothers".

Yes, I mean monks.
I used to say "brethren".
So, I should use "brothers" not "brethren", correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I mean monks.
I used to say "brethren".
So, I should use "brothers" not "brethren", correct?

Yes. Brethren is an archaic plural of brother. A pacifist anabaptist denomination active in my area of Ohio is called the Church of the Brethren. Other than when referring to that church and its members, and possibly in some old hymns, the word is never used in modern English.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The Plymouth Brethren are alive and well, and so are Freemasons, who use the word all the time.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Given the rest of the text, which is heavy duty stuff, brethren doesn't stand out as that archaic to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.