Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
What would be a natural reponse to the phrase "Have a good game" (before a game of chess, online or in person, for example)? "Have a good game too"? Or simply "You too"? Or maybe something else?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If "Have a good game" was spoken by your opponent, you could reply with "You too" or "Ditto". If spoken by someone else, just say "Thanks".

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Well, it's maybe a bit off-topic, but it seems to me that this question is related to the previous one and isn't worth opening another thread.

There is a tendency on game servers on the internet to say "gg" to the opponent before the game starts. "gg" is an abbreviation for "good game". I've looked through some threads on chess forums and found that the phrase "Good game" is spoken after the game, not before one as a good wish. I'm a bit confused, and my questions are... (I don't know what punctuation mark should be put after "are", so I used an ellipsis. :) I would be grateful if someone told me what punctuation mark is actually needed there). Is "Good game" used interchangeably with "Have a good game", or is it just used incorrectly because of the multicultural environment of the internet, where the members might not know English and just copy others' behaviour, like myself who till yesterday wished my opponents "gg" and only yesterday questioned this phrase? :)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If someone just said "Good game", I would assume the game was over. However, the internet has spawned plenty of abbreviations and contractions which might not match up to their non-internet equivalents. People who frequent online gaming sites probably all understand that "gg" before a game means "Have a good game" and "gg" after a game means "That was a good game".

Status
Not open for further replies.