Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
why would the author write an unlikely event like that?

That's the question. Evidently as an attempt to point out how badly-punctuated sentences can cause ambiguity.

(Not to point out how badly punctuated sentences can cause ambiguity.)

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's the question. Evidently as an attempt to point out how badly-punctuated sentences can cause ambiguity.

(Not to point out how badly punctuated sentences can cause ambiguity.)

As much as I like to think that, I don't think that was the author's intention. See attachment.

Attachments

• hyphen.jpg
    hyphen.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 6

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here's a quiz: can you tell which one is correct?

1. I can't believe that the latest handheld console will be priced at only ninety-nine pounds.

2. I can't believe that the latest hand-held console will be priced at only ninety-nine pounds.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As much as I like to think that, I don't think that was the author's intention. See attachment.

No, the attachment confirms just what I said. When it says clear, read unambiguous.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here's a quiz: can you tell which one is correct?

1. I can't believe that the latest handheld console will be priced at only ninety-nine pounds.

2. I can't believe that the latest hand-held console will be priced at only ninety-nine pounds.

Actually, there exist no 'rules' to govern whether a word is hyphenated or written as a single word. The most sensible guideline to follow would probably be to go with frequency. That is, go with what is the most common, which in this case is probably handheld, but it's really a question of style. This is often something that changes over time.

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, the attachment confirms just what I said. When it says clear, read unambiguous.

I agree badly-punctuated sentences can cause ambiguity, but the second sentence "2. She gave back the stolen-vehicle registration." is ambiguous, is it not?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree badly-punctuated sentences can cause ambiguity, but the second sentence "2. She gave back the stolen-vehicle registration." is ambiguous, is it not?

The writer's point is that it's not ambiguous.

stolen-vehicle registration = unambiguous (The vehicle was stolen.)
stolen vehicle registration = ambiguous (What was stolen? The vehicle or the registration?)

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Actually, there exist no 'rules' to govern whether a word is hyphenated or written as a single word. The most sensible guideline to follow would probably be to go with frequency. That is, go with what is the most common, which in this case is probably handheld, but it's really a question of style. This is often something that changes over time.

That's exactly my thought. But in this quiz that the author prepared, he says sentence 1 is wrong and sentence 2 is right. That completely contradict what he taught in his course material (and all other tutorials out on the web). As I remember, the author says, if in doubt use a dictionary, so I did exactly that. The dictionary notes a closed version of handheld.

To be fair, according to grammar rules neither is wrong; they are both grammatically correct because handheld exist in the dictionary and hand-held satisfied the compound adjective.

Then I wondered is there a precedence over which one to use?

I think the author should not have used the two sentences to illustrate correct grammar, because technically he is also wrong.

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The sentence opens up to different interpretations. If there is more than one interpretation then that means there's ambiguity.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence opens up to different interpretations. If there is more than one interpretation then that means there's ambiguity.
If you're talking about "She gave back the stolen-vehicle registration", the hyphen makes it unambiguous. Stolen-vehicle is a compound adjective modifying registration.

The intended meaning is unclear to me though because I don't know what a stolen-vehicle registration is supposed to be.

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're talking about "She gave back the stolen-vehicle registration", the hyphen makes it unambiguous. Stolen-vehicle is a compound adjective modifying registration.

The intended meaning is unclear to me though because I don't know what a stolen-vehicle registration is supposed to be.

I don’t have any disagreement with compound adjective just the sentence as a whole. Anyway, I’m moving forward as everything I need to know is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.