Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I've tried to use the word "ground" in my sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. Bob swung his pickaxe several times, but it made no impact on the deep frozen ground.
2. During an excavation for a new mall, workers found a large amount of human bones, which suggests that was an ancient burial ground.
3. A hunter found a lifeless body of an elderly man on the ground. He was suffering from dementia and reported missing the previous day.
4. Generals demanded more troops on the ground.
5. Lost in his thoughts, Tom trudged on the frozen ground, when a rook flew above him, cawing.
6. Anna vowed to always stand her ground, even if that meant risking her job.
7. David applied for divorce on the grounds of insanity of his wife,
8. Poverty, social exclusion, lack of education and bad housing are fertile ground for criminality.
9. A famous actor had gone to ground since someone had filmed him sniffing cocaine with a group of prostitutes while his wife was in hospital, expecting to give birth.
10. Mark spent the morning digging ground in his garden and planting flowers.
11. Bea refuses to buy shares in weapon companies on moral grounds.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In #2, I'd use "a large number of human bones".
In #3, use "the lifeless body". That's because you are talking about the body of the elderly man you go on to mention. Had you not said anything about the elderly man, you could have use "A hunter found a lifeless body on the ground".

(There's more to be said but I'm late for tennis! I'm sure someone else will pick up the baton.)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Piscean,

Thank you for your corrections. I'll just like to say that number 7 and not 6 is "of his wife's insanity."

Status
Not open for further replies.