是倾盆大雨的意思= Heavy rain (I think) :-o

Let sleeping dogs lie - don't stir things up unnecessarily

"I've got a mouth like the bottom of a budgie's cage."
(budgie = budgerigar = parrakeet)

also

"I've got a mouth like a monkey's armpit."

both mean "I've got a foul taste in my mouth."

"tight as a badger's a*s*/*r*e" = very mean with money

These are very informal. I wouldn't advise using them in an exam or a job interview.

:hi: :hi: :hi: hi again,

''pull a rabbit out of the hat''= suddenly produce something as a solution to a problem

eg. We had almost given up hope when Mick pulled a rabbit out of the hat by coming up with a great new idea.

Forgive me if any of these are already posted

All over the place like a dogs breakfast = Messy

Eat a horse and go back for the rider = hungry

Eat the arse out of a low flying duck = Hungry

Frog in your throat = Croaky voice

Fit as a malley bull

Strong as an ox

Forgive me if any of these are already posted
All over the place like a dogs breakfast = Messy
Eat a horse and go back for the rider = hungry
Eat the arse out of a low flying duck = Hungry
Frog in your throat = Croaky voice
Fit as a malley bull
Strong as an ox
hi Austblue,:-D

Our aim is to learn these idioms, which are not so easy to learn for foreign learners. So you are very welcomed. :-D And never mind if some of these idioms have already been posted, :) as revision is the best way to learn them.

have a nice day,;-)

m

Thanks Mad, I just found this the other day and it is a bit of an interest of mine so I shall be lurking and posting here and there ;)

Cheers.

Here's one for the purists;

Beef to the heels like a Mullingar heifer

As rare as hen's teeth:
quite rare
:)

Some about fish:

a different kettle of fish; different, not the same A cult is not a religion. A cult is a different kettle of fish entirely.

bigger fish to fry; more important people to meet or do business with. Don't bother fighting with him. You've got bigger fish to fry.

drink like a fish; drink a lot of liquor every day. If Hal is coming to visit, buy lots of beer. He drinks like a fish.

fish and company stink after three days; Fish should be eaten while it is fresh, and guests should not stay too long. Grandfather had this sign on the wall of his garage: Fish and company stink after three days!

fish for a compliment; Hint that he wants a compliment. If Al mentions cars, he's fishing for a compliment on his Jaguar.

Fish or cut bait; do it instead of talking about it. Less talk and more action. You've been bragging about what a great cook you are, so you make dinner. It's time to fish or cut bait!

fishy; not right, not fair, something smells fishy "Why don't you like this deal?" "Because it's fishy. Nobody sells a Mercedes for such a low price."

shooting fish in a barrel; A task that is too easy, a game without challenge We won 18-2. It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

there's something fishy; there is something wrong, there is something strange There's something fishy about a 1970 car with only 5000 km.

Re:
I am so hungry I could eat a horse.
Meaning:
I am quite hungry.
~R

Hi eveybody!

Here´s one my brother once taught me:
"It´s like hitting the dead horse", meaning it´s useless. I was very much in love with a very sweet guy who was unfortunately not that much in love with me, so he said: Sweetie, it´s like hitting the dead horse. It was not a happy comment but definitely instructive.:-(

I believe the expression is "beating a dead horse", but "hitting a dead horse" is very close.

Don't forget to let sleeping dogs lie.

:)

In AE it's "beating a dead horse", but it's the same thing.

~R

Six of one and half a dozen of the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back