Weather swings

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I mean "letters": characters, symbols of alphabet, graphemes :-D

PS) You forgot to strike through set, btw. The previous time you suggested to edit it out, in favour of highlight, I suppose.

Two things. One, highlight is the right word, and set isn't. Two, teechar isn't perfect. (Nobody is.) What I mean by that is don't expect him to catch everything.

Two things. One, highlight is the right word, and set isn't. Two, teechar isn't perfect. (Nobody is.) What I mean by that is don't expect him to catch everything.

I would broaden it a bit: nobody and nothing is perfect :lol:

alexpen,

teechar has gone to great lengths to help you improve your text. Many forum members would be extremely grateful for such free, expert help.

Yes, teechar should get a prize.

:up:

alexpen,

teechar has gone to great lengths to help you improve your text.

Sure, I certainly liked the "scant opportunity" suggestion, although I changed it to "scarce opportunity".

Sure, I certainly liked the "scant opportunity" suggestion, although I changed it to "scarce opportunity".

That's not a good swap.

You mean, not very common? In books.

Maybe. Funny how I, as a foreigner, have come across more scarce opportunities than the scant ones :lol:

You mean, not very common? In books.

Maybe. Funny how I, as a foreigner, have come across more scarce opportunities than the scant ones :lol:

Both expressions are rather foreign to me.

I'm more familiar with "scant opportunity" (uncountable).

He had scant opportunity to win the match.
It's due to be cloudy tomorrow so there will be scant opportunity for sunbathing.

I'm more familiar with "scant opportunity" (uncountable).

He had scant opportunity to win the match.
It's due to be cloudy tomorrow so there will be scant opportunity for sunbathing.

Well, looking at the statistics Teechar supplied, I can guess that :)

What I meant was that I came across a "scarce opportunity" or two in my experience of using English - the phrase was more familiar than the "scant opportunity". Otherwise, it would not have popped up in my mind.

You need to seize an opportunity when it presents itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back