Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear everybody!
What is the meaning of "C'est le moment ou jamais" in the following passage? The words in bold are especially problematic:
At that point Minorsky sent a letter to his senior friend, Vasilii fon-Klemm, who by then had become the ministry's Official for Special Assignments. The letter was supposed to follow up his promotion nomination addressed to the Head of the Asian Department of the Russian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Kimon Argiropulo, on behalf of the Russian Minister in Iran, Stanislav Poklevskii-Kozel. Minorsky wrote:
I am emphatically asking you to let me know whether the Minister's nomination of my promotion has been crowned with success (no. 984 addressed to K. M. Argiropulo). C'est le moment on jamais receives anything from the Ministry. Well, in any way, the deal was struck. My role will become clear if we compare what had been done during my absence from Constantinople to what was done in the period from October 19 to November 9 […] I hope I won't be forgotten. The promotion is also essential for my status on the Commission.
The passage is from the essay Vladimir Minorsky (1877–1966) and the Iran–Iraq War (1980–8): The Centenary of “Minorsky's Frontier” written by Denis V. Volkov in the book "Russians in Iran" edited by Rudi Matthee and Elena Andreeva.
Many thanks in advance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You do realize that the phrase is French?

"It's now or never"

pars

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes! Of course I knew that, but the whole meaning of the sentence in bold is problematic for me. Who is or what is the subject of "receives"?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have no idea. May be an error in the book.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did the original say "ou jamais" (as in your title and your question) or "on jamais" (as in the actual quote)?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you sure that the sentence includes on?

Check again how the text is presented exactly (including punctuation and formatting) and post the sentence again.

pars

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes! I am sure. I copied the text exactly. Of course, the main text was in Russian, and the passage is its translation.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So what made you use C'est le moment ou jamais in the thread title?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
C'est le moment on jamais receives anything from the Ministry could be fractured franglais, meaning roughly "At times like this one never gets anything from the Ministry."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you see how your typo led to huge confusion? If your title and question had correctly use "on" instead of "ou", we would never have thought that the phrase translated to "It's now or never" and we wouldn't have had to post extra questions about the correct spelling.

pars

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi! It was exactly the phrase written in the book. I did not type any thing, I copied exactly the passage from the book. However, I am so sorry for this trouble. Excuse me, pleas!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not talking about the quote - in the quote you got it right. You got it wrong in the thread title and in the piece of writing before the quote. So we saw "ou" twice and "on" only once.

pars

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi! I am absolutely sorry! but I did not type anything! I copied the passage exactly from the book, without any change in it. I do not know French, and the mistake was in original text.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you saying you copied this from a book?

"Dear everybody!
What is the meaning of 'C'est le moment ou jamais' in the following passage? The words in bold are especially problematic:"

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.