Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Topic : Korean teacher introduction

Hi, My name is Charlie. I am a native Korean speaker, living in Yongin, Korea. I went to college and worked in Canada. I have taught English to Korean students for 11 years. I have also studied various languages such as Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Spanish, and French.

Judging from my experience, every language has its own difficult and easy aspects to learn. Korean is said to be one of the most difficult languages to learn in the world, belonging to the Ural-Altaic language family. But for Koreans, it's such a natural language and they don't feel it to be so difficult. Korean is difficult, especially in terms of verb endings and polite expressions. But these things don't matter to Koreans.

The bottom line is that every language is more a habit of speaking through the mouth as an experience through life than a logic made by your brain. I have a strong belief that speaking a lot and listening a lot is the shortcut to conquering a foreign language. It's best to repeat a lot of what native speakers say. I strongly recommend watching a lot of Korean dramas to conquer spoken Korean. I also teach Korean dramas and K-pop during lectures, including various idioms and slang.

Everyone, let's study Korean with me in an easy and fun way. I will be your best Korean teacher. Thank you very much.
================================================================
If I have made mistakes, please correct them.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To clear up any ambiguity you might say:

I went to college in Canada and also worked there.

If that's what you mean.

Also, the original sentence is not wrong, but you could say:

I have taught English to Koreans for eleven (11) years.

(That changes the emphasis.)

Also, I would say:

In addition to English I have studied Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Spanish and French.

Wow!
:up:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I might say:

Every language is easy to learn in some ways and hard to learn in others.

(I know enough Spanish to get the phrases mixed up.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say;

Korean comes natural to Koreans.

Every language has patterns.

I would rewrite the first sentence of the last paragraph.

(I'm glad you didn't say In conclusion. I hate that.)

Perhaps a better finish would be:

Do you have any questions?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One more thing. I wouldn't say you conquer a language. Instead, I would say you master it.
:)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Korean comes naturally to Koreans.

I do not understand this:

The bottom line is that every language is more a habit of speaking through the mouth as an experience through life than a logic made by your brain

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Korean comes naturally to Koreans.

I do not understand this:

The bottom line is that every language is more a habit of speaking through the mouth as an experience through life than a logic made by your brain

It means that you can acquire a language by speaking a lot rather than thinking about why this has to be this way or that has to be that way. Situational learning is more effective than analytical one.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It means that you can acquire a language by speaking a lot rather than thinking about why this has to be this way or that has to be that way. Situational learning is more effective than analytical one.

As this is hard to understand, I changed it like this.

The bottom line is that every language is more a habit of speaking through the mouth as an experience through life than a logic made by your brain.
=>The bottom line is that you can acquire a language more easily by speaking with your mouth than by thinking with your brain.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
One more thing. I wouldn't say you conquer a language. Instead, I would say you master it.

By the way, which would be better for the title of a tutor?

[FONT=&#48148]1. A tutor to teach you the shortcut to master a foreign language
[/FONT]2. [FONT=&#48148]A tutor to guide you through the shortcut to master a foreign language[/FONT]

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

Is the underlined grammatically correct?

The bottom line is that you can acquire a foreign language by speaking a lot with your mouth rather than thinking with your brain.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
By the way, which would be better for the title of a tutor?

1. A tutor to teach you the shortcuts to mastering a foreign language.
2. A tutor to guide you through the shortcuts to mastering a foreign language.

A tutor doesn't have a "title" (unless you're talking about their actual job title). You are simply trying to describe yourself as a tutor.

I have made corrections to both your sentences so that they're grammatical. However, I have to say that I don't like either of them. There are no shortcuts to mastering a foreign language. It takes hard work, time, patience and a good teacher. You could say something like "[I'm] a tutor who can really help you master a foreign language".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the underlined grammatically correct?

The bottom line is that you can acquire a foreign language by speaking a lot with your mouth rather than thinking with your brain.

I hate that. I hate everything about it lt, starting with The bottom line. I like much better the sentence that goes something like:

You learn a language better by listening to it being spoken and by speaking it yourself rather than analyzing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.