Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I went to meet him

I went to see him.

Can we use "meet" and "see" interchangeably?

No. Look up the words in a good dictionary to see the differences.

Do you know the person?

Click here to find good dictionaries, and bookmark the site for future reference.

Even a one-word sentence needs a closing punctuation mark. Have you looked the two words up in a good dictionary yet?

Yes I googled and learnt that we use "meet" for pre fix appointment or when we are meeting someone for first time. For any other purpose we use "see".

This is based on my understanding. Thanks

Yes, I Googled them and learnt that we use "meet" for pre-fixed appointments or when we are meeting someone for the first time. For any other purpose, we use "see".

This is [STRIKE]based on[/STRIKE] my understanding. Thanks.

Googling words isn't the same as looking them up in a good dictionary, or at the site Rover linked to earlier.

Your understanding doesn't sound right to me. Please explain how you came to that conclusion.

, I Googled them and learnt that we use "meet" for pre-fixed appointments or when we are meeting someone for the first time. For any other purpose, we use "see".

Googling words isn't the same as looking them up in a good dictionary, or at the site Rover linked to earlier.

Your understanding doesn't sound right to me. Please explain how you came to that conclusion.

I understand that we use "the" before the names of famous buildings, oceans, river, seas, heavenly bodies and other things that are one of their kind. And we also use when we talk about a particular person, place, animal or thing.

I could not understand why we use "the" before "first time" as per above explanations. Is "first time" cover under "thing"? Please help me to understand this. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the first time I saw her.

Can you take "the" out of that sentence?

It was the first time I saw her.

Can you take "the" out of that sentence?

No. Is there any specific rule to use "the" before "first time"?

When I read and write I understand "the" will be used but couldn't understand why we use the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back