[Grammar] Tickets can be bought from the Tourist Information Centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAL123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Consider this sentence, please: https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/can_1

1) Tickets can be bought from the Tourist Information Centre.

= People can buy tickets from
the Tourist Information Centre. (general subject and object)

= It is possible (for people) to buy tickets
from the Tourist Information Centre.

Q: Are the following sentences/implications possible? If so, are they both suggestions to my friend?

To my friend:

2) You (=my friend) can buy a ticket from the Tourist Information Centre. (specific subject and object)

=
It is possible for you to buy a ticket from the Tourist Information Centre.

3) You (=my friend) could buy a ticket from the Tourist Information Centre. (specific subject and object)

=
It is/would be possible for you to buy a ticket from the Tourist Information Centre.

Last edited:
Yes. Well done.

"You can buy a ticket from the Tourist Information Center" conveys information. The other one might be a suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
If so, are they both suggestions to my friend?

They could be if you are making suggestions. The first could also be letting them know something.

The first could also be letting them know something.

I think sentence 2) sounds so because, apart from the possibility meaning, "can" also has the connotation of "be allowed to".

2) You (=my friend) can buy a ticket from the Tourist Information Centre.

= You are allowed to buy a ticket...

Here I'm letting my friend know that they have permission to buy a ticket...

Am I right?

No. "You can buy a ticket there" means that's where you can buy a ticket. It does not indicate granting permission.

Without more context, it means it's possible for you to buy a ticket there.

It means "you have permission" in appropriate contexts, as at 00:58 in this clip. Watch it from the beginning.

Can I make a suggestion to you, NAL123?

I think you're approaching your study of modal verbs in the wrong way. Try looking at things from the complete opposite direction. Instead of making up a sentence and then enquiring about possible meanings, you should get the meaning very clear first, and then choose an appropriate modal verb to use to express that meaning.

When you think about the meaning, think about who is saying the sentence (the speaker/writer), who the sentence is aimed at (the listener/reader), and what the speaker/reader is trying to do by uttering the sentence (i.e., make a suggestion, ask for permission, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back