• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: ...Overcome by emotion...

I can't figure out a better word instead of 'shouting' in the sentences in Post#30. Or maybe 'playing' is the one? Please help me and thank you.

************************************************** ****************************************
    Overcome by emotion, I pursue her into the night, playing a lonely song from the depths of my soul and calling to the cold wind and the high mountains in snow...

Or: Overcome by emotion, I pursue her into the snowy night, playing a lonely song from the depths of my soul and calling to the cold wind and the distant mountains…

Or:
    Overcome by emotion, I pursue her into the snowy night, playing a lonely song from the depths of my soul and calling to the cold wind and the high mountains…

Or:
    Overcome by emotion, I pursue her into the snowy night, playing a lonely song from the depths of my soul and calling to the cold wind blowing the high/distant mountains…

Sometimes I wonder why I am captivated by this painting. Maybe part of the reason is that the horse there reminds me of a mustang. A wise friend once told me that a mustang's spirit can never be broken. She has the strenghth of the ocean and lives forever, like the wind. It took me a long time to realize why that was true, but now I know it is because a true mustang never gives up hope… or on love. And at this moment, right here, right now, it seems as if she is whispering to me - as my final moments found me and I galloped toward the sky… I realized my mother was right. It really did feel like flying.

Suddenly something occurrs in my mind: Maybe in the sentences in blue, ‘I’ can be a mustang and ‘her’ becomes a human partner – they love each other so much…
    Last edited by rodgers white; 22-Dec-2020 at 08:53.
    Three passions have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.

Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Two things. One, I prefer the second one. Two, say: "Something occurred to me."

I wrote a brief poem about the wind which I recently reposted on Facebook. (It's here in the Prose and Poetry subforum.)
    Not a professional teacher

rodgers white is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Two things. One, I prefer the second one. Two, say: "Something occurred to me."

I wrote a brief poem about the wind which I recently reposted on Facebook. (It's here in the Prose and Poetry subforum.)
    Thank you. You are right. I should say "Something occurred to me." Sometimes, you know, I just missed the right way to express something, so I still need to listen and read more to improve my sense of language. By the way, would you like to give the link of your poem? (the Prose and Poetry subforum here or Fackbook - both OK) Thank you.
    Three passions have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.

Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I don't know how to post links using this device.
    Not a professional teacher

rodgers white is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I don't know how to post links using this device.
    Got it. By the way, I found your poem about the wind - 'She was the wind'. I love it.

Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4