Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Some organizations and writers say that Britain needs to become more natural again. They suggest that trees and plants that grew in the UK before towns and cities were built should be allowed to grow again. They even say that large wild animals which have not lived in the UK should be helped to return and live wild. They call this “rewilding”.

Source: Making Britain wild again, by Andy Keedwell, British Council

They even say that large wild animals which have not lived in the UK should be helped to return and live wild.

If the large wild animals have not lived in the UK, how can we say they will return there? I don’t think the use of ‘return’ is correct above. Maybe ‘come there’ is better. What do you say?

I agree with you. If they've never been here, they can't return. However "come there" isn't natural. It would be better to say "... large wild animals that have not lived in the UK should be introduced ...".

I think it's an editing error and the writer meant large wild animals which have not lived in the UK for centuries.

I'm looking forward to visiting England to see the mastodons.

The author of the article posted this:
Hi, I'm Andy Keedwell and the author of the original article. The original article does say 'animals which lived in Britain for centuries'. I don't think anyone is planning to rewild Britain with animals which have never lived there....

He's spot-on on checking his own statements.

SoothingDave said:
I'm looking forward to visiting England to see the mastodons.

They are talking about rewilding with animals like wolves and boars, not mastodons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back