Diary entry - Today, I bought a sea salt perfumed cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I bought a sea salt perfumed cream. I chose it because I want to pretend I'm on the beach by smelling some ocean scent. The weather is too hot for me to go there. However, the cream didn't smell the same as it was in the shop. The scent became rusty ocean when I opened the lid. I applied the cream to my skin and waited for half an hour. I didn't know why I started to feel dizzy. I guessed the smell was too strong. I don't often use perfume. I thought perfumed cream would smell lighter, so I bought it. However, it didn't work well on me either.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Today, I bought a jar of sea salt perfumed cream. I chose it because I want to pretend I'm on the beach [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] smelling/enjoying some ocean scent. The weather [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was too hot for me to go there. However, the cream didn't smell the same as it was in the shop. [STRIKE]The scent became [/STRIKE] It smelled like "rusty ocean" when I opened the lid. I applied the cream [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] on my skin and waited for half an hour. I didn't know why I started to feel dizzy. I guessed the smell was too strong. I don't often use perfume. I thought perfumed cream would smell lighter, so I bought it. However, it didn't work well on me either.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have no idea what rusty ocean is or smells like.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
the cream didn't smell the same as it [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] did in the shop. However, it didn't work well on me either.
I don't understand the underlined part.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Today, I bought [STRIKE]a sea salt perfumed[/STRIKE] an ocean-scented cream.

I chose it because I want to pretend I'm on the beach by [STRIKE]smelling[/STRIKE] breathing in/inhaling [STRIKE]some ocean scent[/STRIKE] the smell of the sea.

The weather is currently too hot for me to go [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] to the beach/coast.

However, when I put it on/applied it, the cream didn't smell the same as it [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] did in the shop.

The scent became rusty ocean when I opened the lid. "Rusty ocean" means nothing.

I applied the cream to my skin and waited for half an hour. :tick:

I [STRIKE]didn't[/STRIKE] don't know why, but I started to feel dizzy.

I [STRIKE]guessed[/STRIKE] guess the smell was too strong.

I don't often use perfume. :tick: (Although if you're a man, it would be better to use "cologne". We tend to reserve "perfume" for scents for women.)

I thought perfumed cream would smell lighter, so I bought it. Lighter than what?

[STRIKE]However[/STRIKE] Unfortunately, it didn't [STRIKE]work well[/STRIKE] smell good/nice on me. [STRIKE]either.[/STRIKE]

See above. (I put each sentence on its own line purely to make it easier to read.)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I know the indefinite article can be used with the different forms of a substance (cream/lotion/paste/powder) which are considered countable. However, in the context of OP's first sentence, wouldn't it be more appropriate to state the packaging the substance comes in - tube/jar/bottle/sachet?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
in the context of OP's first sentence, wouldn't it be more appropriate to state the packaging the substance comes in - tube/jar/bottle/sachet?
It would certainly be possible. I don't see why it should be 'more appropriate'.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It would certainly be possible. I don't see why it should be 'more appropriate'.

I would have thought that, as an entry in a diary describing one's daily experience in detail including imageries and the subtleties of scents, it would be more appropriate and consistent to describe the item bought, than just saying "I bought a cream".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If there is one place where one does not have to worry about being appropriate or consistent, it is one's own diary.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have no idea what rusty ocean is or smells like.
I don't know how to describe the smell. In the shop, it smelled as if some milk was mixed with sea water. However, when I opened the lid, it smelled as if rusty metal was mixed with sea water.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I thought perfumed cream would smell lighter, so I bought it. Lighter than what?
I thought perfumed cream would smell lighter than perfume.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't know how to describe the smell. In the shop, it smelled as if some milk was mixed with sea water. However, when I opened the lid, it smelled as if rusty metal was mixed with sea water.

It is up to your imagination to describe a smell. "A mix of rusty metal and seawater" would be better than "rusty ocean" (there is no such thing).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If it smelled like "some milk was mixed with sea water" in the shop, I'm surprised you bought it at all. It sounds disgusting!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Salt has no smell. The ocean does. I also wonder whether it's a cream or a lotion. And it wouldn't be perfumed, it would be scented.

So I'd say: Today I bought a jar/bottle/tube of ocean-scented cream/lotion.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

You were ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.